Dealing with Beavers

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Matt, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't sure where to ask this...but wow beavers are awful on my farm. Basically have the creek dammed up in 2 spots, I can't even get across to hunt the other side. I plan on making some attempts to rip the dam out. Just thought I'd ask for any advice on the subject.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Covered up in beaver, there's definitely worse problems to have...

:D

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: thanks

4. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    trap them to clean out the population. They make a mess of things real fast. They built a dam where I hunt within a couple weeks, I went in to hunt one morning and couldn't get across the river.

5. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My parents had the same problem but the beavers build a dam next to the road and it flooded bad in the spring. They called DNR and to their surprise they came out and trapped them and removed the dam. Now 5 years later the same thing is happen again but this time DNR said it your problem now, not ours.
    Easy way to get rid of them is to trap them or put a hole in the dam and wait til dark and they will come out to fix the hole.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I laughed!

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bust open their dams and set some 330s where you bust it and the water comes through. Skin them and sell the hides. Your problem will go away and you might be able to make a little cash.

8. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I was going to recommend. My family has a 10 acre pond on our farm which is fed by a creek. The beavers have a field day daming up the creek. A lot of farmers grow timber/pines here in eastern NC and these beavers can flood thousands of acres of timber over night. It wasn't enough for me to try and shoot all the beavers, they learned very quickly to travel areas that I couldnt see most everyday and became mostly night movers. So, last year, after having a 500 acre plot of timber flooded, I started researching about trapping beavers.

To make a long story short...get a couple of 330 conibears, bust open their dam (I like to do it in 2 spots). Set sticks up to funnel them into the conibears and then let the traps take care of them. The beavers were literally eradicated over the winter.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. ThePossumKing

ThePossumKing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, pick up a couple conibears and foot traps. Watch some you tube videos on trapping beaver. Its fun.