Food Plot Help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by RedHuggins05, Nov 15, 2014.

1. RedHuggins05

RedHuggins05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I lease 1500 acres in Alabama. It is a owned by a tree service company and is used for farming pine trees. my question is about the soil. we have had it tested by auburn university and the soil lack A LOT of lime. we have considered chicken manure but would have too many problems with having a spreader getting into some of the food plots. the pine thickets leave most of the roads very narrow. has anyone had any luck with a good liquid fertilizer or sun hemp? I would appreciate any helpful tips.

2. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They make lime in a pellet form comes in 40lbs bag normally you can use a 4wheeler spreader or hand spreader and can get it from a feed store like tractor supply works well but with lime the key is you have to spread it 2-3 months before planting.

3. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Buy pelletitized lime. Spread it 4-5 months before you you plant. The fast acting lime doesn't work well for the price

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Deer Gro. It's a liquid fertilizer that is supposed to work faster than traditional lime.

5. Oldtreeman

Oldtreeman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have about the same size track of land in South Carolina. Liquid fertilizer will not be cost effective. Your plots will be logging decks. We find it works better to use 19-19-19 in bags. That is about half the number of bags needed for 10-10-10. If you have a power line you can get a fertilizer truck in during dry weather bulk is always cheaper.

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I invented a liquid plant food and i also offer up custom mixes plant foods based on people's soil tests and or plant tissue analysis. There is even a chelated calcium option foliar fed, that people in extreme situations have used. If you can't get 1-2 ton of lime spread per acre, use a product like supercal98. 400-500 LBS per acre will be comparable to a higher level of the standard lime.

If one has low pH, you can get away with it some of you build up the soil organic matter level via using green manures,

Another trick is using humics. I include humics in both foliar and dry food plot fertilizers. Most don't know about humics but they are the trick to my big ole brassicas and sward dense plots.