Advice/Help with Food Plots. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TBeamon, Nov 13, 2014.

1. TBeamon

TBeamon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been given free range to manage a nice tract of land that already has pretty nice deer for the area (Eastern NC) but who doesn't want to better there property? I have also been given the three fields that are outlined in lime green to plant whatever I want food plot wise for next year and up and coming years. The largest sections outlined in yellow are soybeans at the time and alternate every few years between corn and soybeans by my father in law. It is too late this fall to plant anything due to the frosts and freezes already at hand but I have began the discing and prepping with lime for the early spring plant. we have a few nice bucks on the property currently but have taken a few does to try to get the population down. We saw 19 does in the one largest field (60 acre) field during an early season hunt. The property is bordered by the creek to the south and the blue outline is a cow pasture. I have deemed the small streak of land north of the hog lagoon as a bedding area and the tract of woods to the west of the cow pasture as a bedding area also. Most of the "woods" hunting will be done along the creek and the neck of woods that is surrounded by the fields as it is heavily traveled but not thick enough for bedding. All other hunting will be field line hunting and food plot hunting mainly with bow but will do a little rifle hunting...Now for the questions...What would you plant in the food plot fields? I would like to have a spring/summer clover and a fall crop to attract once the corn/beans are picked. Maybe Oats? or Brassica? the land is quite well drained as you cant see in the picture but a small flowing stream runs along the entire property also from N to S through the small woods surrounded by fields as well as has a pond at the very N point of that woods. The blue oval obviously. Land Map.jpg buck6.jpg buck9.jpg IMAG0308.jpg IMAG0316.jpg IMAG0010(1).jpg PICT0038.jpg

2. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you pulled soil tests. It is the first thing anyone should do before planning long term. Spend the $10-$20 per sample. Next, spread lime if needed. It takes up to 6 months for limes to fully work and if needed, this is a great time to get the lime put down. If your soil has low soil organic matter, poor texture and structure, soil amendments could be put down now.

Next, don't just think about 2015 but 2016 and beyond. Year one is a great year to set your food plots up for long term success. I recommend mixes that build soil organic matter, grow on lower ph's or poorer soils and seeds that are near full proof.

What equipment will you have access to?
    What is your budget?
    What are your goals? Attract deer? Grow bigger deer?

On a side note....all seed sold has a germ count. For food plots to be successful, one needs to plant the right seed for your soil at the present time, have good seed to soil contact, and then pray for weather to be your friend...

3. TBeamon

TBeamon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have taken the soil tests and needed 1k lbs of lime per acre which I have added. The PH looked pretty good considering nothing has been planted in the fields for 2-3yrs. The land is pretty loamy on top so I used a pull behind tiller to really turn in the granulated lime and break up some of the surface. I have pretty much any machinery you can think of to work the ground, as I said my father in law is a farmer and has any and everything for planting/spreading/picking. He's not charging anything for the use of the equipment. I would say the overall objective is to have a healthy heard and big antlers. Attraction isn't a problem as the property is loaded with deer.....too many deer.

4. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since the farm has a lot of corn and beans rotated in it and since some of these areas will be first time food plots, here is some options for you.

I like using a spring greens mix that has a blend of high sugar brassicas, triticale, and radish. This can work as a year round, multi graze plot that also keeps weeds at bay and also will keep regrowing. If grasses become an issue, use grass killer, which will kill off the triticale but the brassicas will keep coming strong.

A perennial clover mix i like has ladino, alsike, white dutch, chicory and i recommend people spiking it with berseem or crimson clovers. The annual clovers will grow faster than the slower growing perennial clovers and as the deer love them, they will consume the annuals and give the perennials more time to establish. Spring seed that mix.

If a field has weed pressures, or low organic matter. One could plant buckwheat and berseem clover if there are grass issues. If one has broadleave issues plant oats, triticale, rye or wheat in the spring, kill off the broadleaves and then early fall seed down a fall blend.

5. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Soy beans in the spring with some iron and clay peas