trying this out, create a mock scrape in the field where there is no tree's!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Oct 17, 2014.

1. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I want to get a good scrape going but didn't have any tree limbs to start one under. So I planted a tree! well not really, I took a 6 ft tee post drove it two foot into the ground then screwed a 8 foot maple limb to it. then drilled holes through the maple limb and put cedar branches through the holes and screwed them in place, here is the pictures, I will keep this up to date as fall goes on if they pic it up! I placed it in the center of a break in the sight blocker that divides the field. It is designed to funnel the deer down, this hopefully will increase the funnels use in the coming weeks. here are the pictures [​IMG]

limbing it!

[​IMG]

completed!

[​IMG]

here is a close up!

[​IMG]

If it works next year i may create a scrape line down the entire length of the sight blocker!

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any update on this Andrew?

3. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    It worked well, I pulled my camera off it and moved it to another location. the doe's began using it within a day or so, and the bucks quickly followed. haven't gone to check it in a few weeks, I have been leaving it quiet while gun season is in. but last night from the stand I saw two 1.5 yr old's cruise up to it, and multiple doe check in with it. Next year I intend to do it again and add a few more to create a scrape line.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I lagged on my screen this year and didn't get it in. Might give this a go next year if I get it in.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    been doing similar for 5 years or so. it does work well.
    however, your branch seems way too low??.

6. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, the weight of the limbs were bending them down, next year I am going to use Autumn olive limbs, the deer seem to love to scrape on them in our area. I drilled those holes at home, and didn't take into account the limb bow. The deer are checking it daily, last night I watched as 6 different deer checked it out, at last light we had a 4.5 yr old seven that we have been hunting come out and move a crossed the plot towards it. It was to dark to see if he got to it, last I saw he was about 40 yards down wind of it working towards it. So it does seem to be effective! I am excited to see what happens with it post rut.

7. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any more action on this thing? seems like a great idea.

8. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I walked by it yesterday, the doe's visit it every night and it is just full of tracks. I can see it from the south rifle stand, have watched it get checked regularly by 1.5 yr old bucks most of the rifle season. I saw a 2.5 yr old check it, a week ago. The bucks haven't worked up any of the scraped on our place in a week or so I would say. I am interested to see if here post rut they pick them back up or not.

9. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have done something similar to this the last two years and have had great success