Scrapes & food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by BigPhil_H, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year experimenting with food plots and mock scrapes. On the far side of the plot is a 20' gum tree with a low branch about 6 feet off the ground. Last year, there was a giant scrape under that branch and I was wondering if I should make my own there this year or if I should put it on the edge or a little ways away from the plot. I know most of the natural scrapes I have seen have been on the edges of fields and that's kind of telling me that where this one should be. But I wanted to gather yall's thoughts on it.

The deer aren't hitting the plot too hard yet I think because of all of the acorns in the area, but I would really like to have a scrape set up and active by the time the rut comes in. A fear of mine is; what if the deer don't like the scrape - will it permanently scare the deer away from the plot?

I am thinking about using my Magnum Scrape dripper and experimenting with Code Blue Buck Urine

[​IMG]

2. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any other fresh scrapes in the area? if you do decide to make one be sure your are as scent free as possible. any bit of human scent can send them runnin with a scrape. id say make it away from the plot a little. Best of luck!

3. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Certain human scent isn't an issue, last year a mock scrape we set up we were peeing in and had a buck on it that same day

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. StengRay21

StengRay21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had really good luck with scrapes on the edge of food plots. Especially when you have a good licking branch, seems like bucks really like to scrape in soft dirt that has been worked by a disc.

6. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had 62 pictures of 4 different bucks and several different does in Central SC from last sunday till this past Friday. This was on a mock scrape I started in some oaks by peeing in it. I rubbed evercalm on the overhanging branch and peed in the middle of it. Lots of curiosity and no other nearby scrapes.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome guys, thanks for all of your help. I think I will put it under the tree on the far side of the plot or somewhere on the edge. Also, KHNC, I really like the idea of rubbing Evercalm nearby. I got some of Lowe's Buck Butter a few weeks ago so I may sprinkle some around the area. I hope to do this Thursday, I'll keept this updated with any pics I get. Thanks again

8. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also.. Go find a scrape from another area and dig it up. The top say 2" is all you need, bag it, dump it on your mock )..
    Works great the last couple of weeks of pre rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk