Quick question.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by fishsoft92, Oct 1, 2014.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The area I'm hunting is surrounded by corn and bean fields. I'm planning on putting a series of small food plots in, but I don't necessarily want deer to hang out there all the time. Would they still mostly go to the farms, or would they always be found at the plots? I'm new to the management end of hunting, so any advise is helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The deer will eat at both places but it's way too late now to be planting.

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should still be able to put in some wheat, oats, or rye.

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The plots can be a decent secondary/ transition/ staging place if you have them in the right location relative to those fields.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It's really hard to say as it's situation dependent. Some people will experience deer walking right through beans to feed on their clover or brassicas (or ANY mixture, really), while others won't touch them until well after the beans have browned.

Deer know what they want and are good at mixing their sources to balance their mineral intake, protein, carbs, etc., So while they may hammer the beans, they are still going to be eating other food sources.

With that being said, if the beans are the ONLY other ag crop near you, once they brown and/or are harvested, they may find their way to your plots more often than not.

As far as planting this season, cereal grains are your only option, and even then it's not great. Rye will get a start, oats will as well, but one hard frost and they're likely toast.

Are you planning to plant this year yet? Or is this a plan for the future?

6. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should have specified, sorry. Planning for next year late spring/early summer.

7. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since your in illinois, the only things you can still plant would be winter rye and winter wheat. They will be green into late hunting season and work real well for kill plots. Surrounding soybeans and corn fields will come into play but remember there is factors like cover, water, and hunting pressure that all will influence where deer feed, travel and bed.