hinge cutting

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bowtechassassin, Sep 27, 2014.

1. bowtechassassin

bowtechassassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When you hinge cut does it kill the tree or does it stay alive? Also when do you do your hinge cutting, and what size of trees do you do it on, and what kind? Do you want a oak, maple, or some other kind of tree.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tynimiller is probably the best one to address this question. If done correctly, it will leave the tree mostly alive. It's easier to accomplish with some species than others. Hopefully Tyni will weigh in with more specifics.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After selectively having one of my properties logged I then hinged cut about 10ac, between the tree tops and the hinge cut trees it provided decent beding area .. Mostly poplar, maple and some ash...I found that smaller diameter trees hinge better. Much bigger then 10" diameter it's hit or miss...smaller then that then your pretty well in the clear and they stay alive for a length of time. I left most of my oaks in the section. There was also some larger red cedar and I found it doesn't hinge well at all. It does however serve as decent cover for quite a while after it's felled.
    I plan on doing another 10ac selection next summer.....btw summer is the time to do it as they hinge better in warmer weather.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I like to hinge cut in the spring, just before the trees leaf out. It makes it easier to get the hinged tree through the limbs and branches of the other trees without all the leaves creating drag.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You need to leave some of the outer layer of cambrium layer intact so the tree does not die, if you cut thru it all or it tears the tree will die