What insect is this?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by C0wb0yChris, Sep 14, 2014.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I posted a while back asking what could be eating the brassicas leaves and from some great help found out it was army worms. Well here we go again...a different problem, possibly a different insect.

Here's a picture of what the plants look like...
    [​IMG]

Here's the insect that was laying under the plant
    [​IMG]

Anyone know? Some of the food plot looks good. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are millepedes, they have two pairs of legs per segment...centipedes only have one pair per segment.

Millipedes are vegetarians, generally eat decaying plant matter and seedlings, never seen them eat on larger growing plants. I suppose it's possible they are the culprits given the fact they are vegetarians but I'd look closer for another insect to be safe.

Is that the plot that had the army worms? If so, my guess would be that's damage from the army worms and the millipedes are just browsing on the dead litter. Throw some nitrogen on it before a rain and maybe some new seed. Wheat or rye and turnips.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, same plot with the army worms. I search thoroughly for army worms but couldn't find any. I plan on putting a little nitrogen down before the next rain. Hopefully that'll give them a boost.

Tho I hadn't had time to treat the plot for army worms so when I get time I'll need to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

OHHHH...yeah that would probably be the problem then, :lol:
    They likely moved on and phased through their life cycle. That's a testament to the virility of brassicas to be hit all season by army worms and have any survivors. :lol:

Yeah the Millipedes are just there eating the remaining decay. Good luck with the plot recovery, I'd still through some rye out there, just mix it with the N and fling it on.

5. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For $2 an acre people can spray your brassicas with "silencer or warrior"

If you want a natural option that will also help plant growth.....use 1-2% solution of hydrogen peroxide.....