How long can brassicas take standing water?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by BJE80, Sep 9, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How long can brassicas that is about 7 weeks old and about knee high take standing water? Do you only get a few days or longer before they are destroyed?

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think as long as the tops are above water they should be fine for a while. Interested to hear what they do!

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If the tops are underwater I’ll have far more important things to worry about than if my plot is OK. :lol:

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty good chance of rot/mold I would think.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What's the overall temps been like Brad?

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its been in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. But that is going to change once this front comes through. Friday is a high of 49 and a low of 39. SAt. High of 57 and low of 41. Then it will slowly warm up next week.

Here is the situation. I really don't know what is going on up north. What I do know is we got 4" of rain last Thursday when it was already plenty wet prior. Some roads washed out and it was a really hard rain. I figured I was probably OK up to that point.

Now tonight we are supposed to get 1.5-3" more rain. This will likely flood the plots at least somewhat. I'm counting my back plot as a lost right now because it was just getting esablised with winter rye and peas. My big plot with the brassicas was growing so good but I can't help to wonder how much water will be standing after tonight.

I have not got rain like this since I have owned the place but I know how it holds water with the clay.So I don't know what to expect really 6" of rain in a week is a lot for us.

I guess I'll know opening morning here on Saturday how bad it is.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that is just not a good situation... I'm sure they're not under water, but with the rain coming I would think some rotting would had to have happened.

I planted a 1/2 acre of winter rye and got 3" of rain a week later... I had spots where it was already 6 inches tall. It was spotty for sure, but it was growing well.

8. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my brassica plots is toast too. Its not under water but with the amount of rain it has gotten the plants were only a few inches tall. Now they are wilted and tipped over.... they look terrible and I dont think they will recover.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brad no rain last night. Hoping it misses us tonight.

10. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Wisconsin and have been under water twice this year and checked on my research plots today. Brassicas that are under water for a while, the issues will be fertilizer loss, soil compaction, and mold, and plant disease issues. One splashes them with humic acid mixed with foliar plant foods about 1 week after the water goes down and you will be amazed one week later , what you will see.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3.12 inches last night in SW MN.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I have been very lucky so far. Only 0.2-0.4" of rain so far. Only a few hours to go with this system. Hopefully I can luck out with under a 0.5". Its still alot but a lot better than 2".

[​IMG]

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brad, be ready to throw some winter rye down if lost....better than zero and the window of growth should have some tender shoots during season still...I still am holding hope the brassicas will pull through for ya.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

That was the plan I am going to with the back plot. Picking up a bushell of winter rye today. I'll put it down on the small plot again if the water isn't standing too bad. Might have to wait till next weekend though.

15. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im at least happy that the water really only flooded one of my plots out completely. Some of the other are spotty because of puddles. But overall I should have some food to hunt over. The deer are hammering my brassicas right now. I checked cameras last sunday and had over 200 pics from one plot in 7 days. Looking around in the Big N Beasty plots I hope they can take the beating before they are mature because there is alot of stemms showing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having the same issues with some of my plots here in IL. I've had sporadic standing water on them for 3-5 days at a time for the past few weeks now. I haven't checked them in awhile but the last check wasn't looking good. My plan is to throw some oats/winter rye down this weekend if they're not looking like they're going to pull through.

17. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never seen water as high as it is now. River on our property is usually ankle high this time of year. Today it's over chest waders.

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it's wet as heck but I think I might be ok dean. I'm sure I lost some of my plot but I bet it's still ok. We will see Saturday.

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to see how you make out, Brad. Due to the elevation of my ground and where my plots are now, I don't have an issue with standing water, but curious to see how they held out.

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course it is raining right now again. It is a light rain but still it can't dry up if it keeps raining. :rant: