Food plot help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Iosco1212, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Iosco1212

Iosco1212 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I planted this food plot last august/september. Ive always wanted to have a food plot, so i gave it a shot. I never tested the soil just mowed it down, back bladed, disced and spread some seed. Locals swear on using rape seed in the area. I decided to get rape seed, clover, and chicory mix it together and spread it. Worked out great last year, the deer were all over it. This year however I haven't had the time to get up there and maintain it. My dad sent me a pic of it a couple weeks ago, and I'm surprised to see some came back this year. Im going up this weekend to hang a couple stands and Im not sure what to do to the food plot. It looks awful and mostly taken over by weeds. Should I cut it down with the mower, spread something for the weeds, fertilize it, seed it, or just leave it???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bud

Hopefully the pic uploaded. Having difficulties.

plot14.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mow it to get rid of the weeds. Generally mowing will kill the weeds, but it will not kill the grasses. For that, you need something similar to this.

Arrest Herbicide - Whitetail Institute

There are other options out there. Look for the active ingredient of Clethodim. It will kill grasses, but it will not hurt your clover, rape or chickory. It will do nothing for the weeds. Simplest way to control weeds is to mow them.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like the plot definitely needs some maintenance. I would mow it to start with,as this will encourage new growth. It is a little late to do a whole lot this year. I would just mow it and leave it alone this year. Then next spring i would start over. Spray it and turn it all under. Test the soil and plant accordingly. The right start will make a big difference in the plots life and the quality of the forage

4. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Another option would be to plant either a red or crimson clover. This is an annual clover that will be good to plow under next year. Clover is good at fixing nitrogen and will help when you go to plant next year. You still have time to plant depending on where you are at...

5. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum, i would mow it down, and just wait it out this year. when spring comes mow it again, than round up, than wait a month, than till it up, than fertalize and plant a good clover mix so it comes back every year, if the weeds come through buy some arrest and spray it with that

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Herbicides always do best when soils healthy and plants are healthy. So many people mow or clip weeds before spraying and that's not what you should be doing. You should always spray, and allow to die. Then mow if your truing to reduce the trash, or disc the plot.

Most clovers are perennials.
    Chicory grows typically 2-7 years.

The best and first money always spent on a food plot is the $10-20 soil samples. Why would anyone plant something that requires a 6.0-7.0 pH to effectively grow when one's pH might be 4.5-5.5? Before anyone asks what fertilizer should be used on any given plot, shouldn't they ask, how much lime should be put down.

Plant grow due to photosynthesis..which means you need sunlight. Plants also need healthy soil. Which means an effective pH. Plants also need heat and moisture. Unless your planting seed on ground that has sunlight, moisture, texture and structure as well as a good amount of organic matter and a good pH. Then your hoping for an act of god. 95% of the people who call me asking for advise haven't pulled a soil sample. So what I recommend for people to plant then is stuff, assuming worse case scenario for pH and soil type.

7. Iosco1212

Iosco1212 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help guys. ill just mow it and leave it for now, and start fresh in the spring. I appreciate the comments.

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mowing is a good idea on weeds if you can get it done before they go to seed. If not, you just add that many more seeds to the soil for next year. Good luck.

fp19