My First Food plot - Pics of my journey...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by WhiteBrow24, Aug 16, 2014.

1. WhiteBrow24

WhiteBrow24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have been talking about doing this all summer and we finally had time to do it. It took us the better part of 3 days to accomplish this. The ground was BRUTAL to say the least, it was a former pig pen as well as an old automotive storage area.... The ground is great, moist, with great black dirt, however, the holes and lumps and bumps out there were terrible and made it hard to mow and disk, plus the thickness of the grass my goodness. You wouldn't believe the the stuff we found from OLD OLD cars. Head lights, tail lights, brake drums, a random piston. All of this stuff was found while we were disking it up! Anyways here are the pics. They should be in order from start to finish!

August 8th 2.jpg August 8th 3.jpg August 8th 4.jpg August 8th 5.jpg August 8th 6.jpg August 8th.jpg August 14th 1.jpg August 14th 2.jpg August 16th 1.jpg August 16th 2.jpg August 16th 3.jpg Panoramic .jpg

2. WhiteBrow24

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, we had a 3 wheeler on the disk for more weight. We ran out of blocks to put on it and I didnt want to stand on it! It worked fantastic by the way. Also, the time it takes to do something like this is insane. I loved it though! Next year will be so much easier.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It will be worth it when you shoot a mature buck over it. Looks really good from start to finish. What are you planting in it?

4. WhiteBrow24

Dislikes Received:
    I got a mix from our local coop. This is what it contains:

DEER FOOD PLOT MIX 20 lbs per acre

25% Purple Top Turnip

25% D.E. Rape

15% Ladino Clover

15% Tetraploid Perennial Ryegrass

10% NZ White Clover

10% Buckwheat

I have no idea if this is good, bad or ugly. I just hope something grows. It rained today after planting yesterday so that should help.

5. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a killer plot for sure! And good mix of stuff as well! That's pretty cool you found old car parts too, save them and when you get a big buck of this spot hand the headlights from his rack! Haha but very cool plot and should draw deer for sure! Keep us updates I would love to see how good it comes in in a couple weeks! Also did you fertilize and or lime it or no?

6. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I would leave a little spot like 60ft by 60ft and plant a mix by evolved harvest called mean bean! Just planted it and from what I heard it grows real nice! Than you will litterly have all the main food sources but put the beans right by your stand so they walk across the field right to you!. And yes it says it plants 1/4 an acre but just plant it thick than throw the rest into the other stuff and watch it grow and attract!

7. WhiteBrow24

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I will keep this updated as it grows... .We did not use any fert or lime. We did not have enough time, this is our first time playing farmer so there is A LOT to learn. Hell we thought we could get this done in an afternoon... lol!

8. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hahah this was my first year doing it too and I thought the same thing, 2 days later I got it all done haha but I think it should do just fine, just pray for rain and it will grow no problem haha