Mid season fertilizer boost

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by atlasman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First of all I am horribly hesitant to do anything different then we always do because if I change something and we have a crappy growth season I will scream. Plots are waaaaaaaay too much work to gamble on.

Having said that I am interested in mid season fertilizer suggestions for brassica heavy plots. Do you guys see a definite difference in forage production with a mid season boost and if so what are you spreading??

Straight N or a mix??

How are you spreading it? We have bigger plots that walking into the middle of would be difficult without damaging the plants. Our broadcast spreaders would never get anywhere near the center if we hug the edges.

Thanks

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use 46-0-0 about 6 weeks after planting my brassicas. It does Make a difference. I normally walk the plot with an over the shoulder spreader. If you do it when the plants are a foot tall or so you shouldn't have to worry about damaging them

3. ARob

ARob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just a tip if you broadcast high nitrogn or urea, be sure to try and plan out a rain shower. Otherwise you could loose too much to the atmosphere.

But to answer your question, yes I do it to my turnip/radish mix and have seen improved results. And the 2nd question: I use straight urea. Its cheaper, and I think the N content is higher.

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i broadcast some triple 17 or triple 19 (what ever i have) before a rain after the plants are a few inchs tall. I also use a folair fertilizer spray when the plants hit about 3 inches.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    atlas - If you don't have time to test soil then you are far safer using a 19-19-19 type fertilizer rather than something like urea (46-0-0). You risk burning your plants if you apply too much nitrogen and the urea is almost pure nitrogen.

With that said, yes.......I almost always broadcast more fertilizer about 3-4 weeks after initial seeding and see significant growth for a good month afterwards. The pace they grow after the second top dressing is noticeably different. I've always used a hand crank broadcast spreader.

6. buckwild_09

buckwild_09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also use a triple. 15 or 19 or whatever is on sale at the time. my plots are only 1/2 acre and I just throw a bag over my shoulder. If you cut a small piece of the corner of the bag you can walk along and use your free hand to throw it every where. Its cheap and takes a lil longer but hey it works!

7. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man.

Might do an experiment this year where I spread more fert on half a plot and compare growth for future reference. I also have plots at my house I can experiment with.

8. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most don't clip brassicas....most should if planted too early.. I've clipped my May "spring greens" twice already. They have been hit by deer since May.
    Every brassica has an maturity, just like corn.
    Every brassica has a difference in sugar content.

People tend to be happy when you use sulfur and boron on their brassicas....

here is mine last year... 20131020_110628.jpg

9. drycreek

drycreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nutritionist, I have had no luck with deer eating brassicas in East Texas. I had a wonderful plot of WINA Winter Greens a few years ago and the deer never touched them, even after a couple heavy frosts. They turned color, but never got browsed. What's the answer ?