Need some advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by palmettoyounggun, Jul 26, 2014.

1. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have some land that my family owns and I was looking for some advice as to what to plant in some of the small food plots and roads around the property. We have 4 small plots (all less than .2 acres a piece) and a couple of old roads that I want to plant this year. My dad planted them years ago but all he has done lately is just bush hog them. 2 of the small plots are on either side of a pond and the other 2 are near a small creek. I am planning to go bush hog them in a little while and will go ahead and disk them one day next week. I was thinking of planting mid to late august but am not sure as to what. Anyone have any tips as to what to plant, when, and where to get seed? I am in upstate South Carolina.

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you wanting a fall plot this year? Or just spring plots? Do you have a drill planter or are you going to broadcast the seed?

I would suggest oats and clover mix. You could throw down winter peas/brassicas in your small plots, but most likely it will be foreign to the deer's taste so it might take them a year or two to get use to. It still isn't too late to plant soybeans but don't expect them to get very big or produce many pods.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the Low-country, the WMA land was planted with wheat and the deer always hit it hard.

4. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am wanting to plant fall plots this year and broadcast seed them. I am interning with the forest service this summer and am going to talk to some of the guys that plant the public land and see what works best for them too. Thanks for the help!