Frigid Forage Big N Beasty

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by JasonOhio2018, Jul 22, 2014.

1. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planting Frigid Forage Big N Beasty brassicas. I have enough for 2 acres but I have 3 acres to plant. What would be a good seed/seeds to buy to add to the mix to make it go further?
    Big N Beasty already contains Sugar Beets, Turnips, Daikon Radishes and 3 varieties of Forage Rape.
    What has worked well for you in the North?

2. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well....you just paid twice the price for that product that you should have but that seems to be the norm in the industry, fancy name, fancy package, added value?

deer creeks seed's got primetime brassicas for $4 per lb....daikon radish, same variety of forage turnip, same rape and well....guaranteed freshness and well....TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN.....

radish is a little over $2 a lb
    rape about $1 per lb
    sugar beets for around $4.50 per lb....

note...sugar beets are finicky as heck and don't compete well...thats why i don't like mixing sugar beets with fast growing competitors like radish and most rapes. I prefer to put it with swedes, swiss chard, carrots and things of that nature.

OK OK So you bought that product and well...your happy you paid $10 per lb for it. Mix it with fall triticale, or berseem clover, depending if you want spring regrowth or unless you are trying to not overseed and if you want to fixate nitrogen to help you save money on fertilizer so you can afford your expensive brassica mix.......

3. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bull !!!!!! Deer Creek Seed has their brassica blend at one acre is $41.99 plus shipping. Frigid Forage Brassica Blend is one acre for $39.99 plus shipping. Sounds like the same price to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I seen deer creek seed brassica mix at $19 for a third acre worth yesterday at a store. So you can shove that price stuff up your a$$.

And the original poster didn't ask about prices he payed and deer creek seed did he?

If you are affiliated with any company forum rules say you have to disclose it.

5. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Now one that is alittle more expensive is Biologic Maximum. However its not the same seed as big n beasty or your deer creek seed. Its a mix of new zealand brassicas.

6. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    One acre of Maximum is $59.99 plus shipping.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who gives a **it about prices, the need and question is something to mix to stretch the mix on hand to cover three acres.

To me, the mix seems to be mixing a grass element and a legume, so in that sense Nutritionist did ok. wheat, triticale, rye or oats and berseem clover or crimson clover.

The grasses will stretch the mix to cover an acre way further and faster than anything you can add, technically it's filler but it has a role to play in providing diversity in the deers diet too.

8. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir for answering my question. I believe that's what these forums are for, to share knowledge and experience with others. Responses like that from Nutritionist, only discourage new members from asking questions.

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You're quite welcome and agreed.
    Hot weather must be making folks on edge or something.

10. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not the hot weather, just get sick of reading posts getting side tracked and the dude patting himself on the back better then you attitude.
    He has good info ,but got to sift through the "look what I do" bs.

11. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grass has no benefit nutritionally nor agronomically for food plots...there are numerous trials as a result. Furthermore, grains don't maximize nutrition per acre but their biggest benefit iS cover and weed suppression. Grains have only 25-33% as much major minerals as legumes and brassicas. They are also lower in digestible energy. There is no cost savings per acre either. This is why the grazing community doesn't consider grains in most pasture scenarios.

We simply are 20 years behind on food plotting over where the goat, sheep and cattle industry is as far as sward density, nutrients per acre, and building the soil.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, tell that to my deer that purposefully browse fresh tender grain or grass while they have acres of brassica and clover. We aren't 20 years behind, we have mostly different focus. 99% of plotters are in it for an attractant for fall hunting so that's where the seed industry focus is. The healthiest thing for soil is bio-diversity...I now agree that you are 20 years behind.

13. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good insight... Just to ask, how do food plots compare to standing corn fields and soybean fields in relation to deer interest or preference. Will deer leave their cozy corn field to come to a food plot? If so what food plot would be best for this kind hunting property.

14. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont care about the grazing community and who plants what in a pasture dude.

Most of the food plot community has basic equipment and wants to scratch up a little dirt, throw some seed out and attract deer and can give two $hits about half the stuff you ramble off about comparing to full fledged farmers.. (I even live on a farm with animals/cash crops and find most of your information not useful)

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yes deer will leave standing corn to hit food plots with greenery. Just like people and principles of soil health, deer love diversity and so does soil health. Deer can't survive on corn alone and prefer a loaded table so to speak. Furthermore in most cases corn and beans will be reduced to a stingy residual food source after harvest in which time food plots take over the primary role in food and cover.

16. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe the deer will necessarily leave the standing corn or especially soybeans to eat in the food plot. Deer are like humans and like a variety of food, some more than others depending what time of year it is. I plant brassicas so that when all the standing corn is harvested and the soybeans are all gone. Don't forget about the acorns, in my opinion deer prefer those over anything else....including corn. But that's just my two cents, I'm definitely no nutritionist and not a farmer, just a deer hunter.

17. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. In our area the only reason you see deer leave a corn field is to go into a bean field. The plots I am planting are for after the crops are gone and the deer have moved back into the timber.

I am planting an acre of the antler king Fall/Winter/Spring blend.

18. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^ Cultipack that fall/winter/spring mix down and broadcast a bag of Honey Hole or Slam Dunk. Or broadcast any kind of brassicas on top of that mix is what I recommend.

And for the price pounders of Buck On Bag stuff. Next week Mills Fleet Farm(if in your area) has Honey Hole(half acre of brassicas) and Slam Dunk (1/4 acre of radish/athena rape/buckwheat/peas) for $14.99

19. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How did I miss this thread! LOL love it! you could add another few pounds of dwarf essex, or purple tops to that and get in the game for a three acre mix!

20. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No Fleet Farm. We have Farm & Fleets around here. But I was thinking of adding something to the mix so I will consider adding Honey Hole.