Plow Down Clover

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Nissen121523, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use the "Plow down" method with clover and brassicas?

I recently saw a video by Bill Winke who's a big advocate of frost seeding plow down clover and then tilling/disking the clover in come july/august to plant turnips/rape.

Lots of logic: Always having something growing, deer can eat the clover, nitrogen back in the soil, reducing the amount of insects/pests that naturally are attracted to bare dirt, etc.

Anyone currently use the plow down technique? If so, are you satisfied with results?

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My plan is to plow down my clover/chicory plots and plant brassicas. The deer aren't even touching it now anyway, too much food around like soybeans. I believe it will more benifitial to have the brassicas for late season.

3. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well.....this is one topic i can talk all day about. I will have tens of thousands of acres in the ground of cover crops and i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee berseem clover. I want to fixate a high amount of nitrogen. I want the added benefit of the nutrition of the berseem clover. It gives us a slightly better package than most clovers and alfalfa. It grows really fast and can tolerate lower pH's and wetter soils.

I do like to use crimson clover on sandy ground or in areas with less rainfall. It does tolerate the cold a little better as well.

I love mixing berseem clover with daikon radish. I also like using winfred brassica as a companion crop to go along with it if someone wants some added cold tolerance and dry matter per acre. This would be my perfect food plot building mix. Scavenges nutrients, smothers weeds, fixates nitrogen and added organic matter to the soil.