Mineral sights good or no good?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Keith Mako, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are your thoughts on mineral sights. I read in deer and deer hunter that it doesn't do much for the deer. From what I got out of the artical that it was all a gimmick. I put some out near a tree and on an old rotted log.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you use, if you use the stuff from fleet farm with a big buck on the front and 75% salt then not so much, but if you get good stuff like monster raxx then I think it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most "minerals" you buy from chain stores are mostly salt... Which is great for attracting deer, but not much else.

If you mix your own, or find a pre mixed mineral with minerals that help deer overall I don't think it hurts at all. The minerals might not make the deers rack grow 10x more than if they didn't have the minerals, but you better believe that you will have a healthier herd when using them.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With the right stuff it's not just a good thing, it's a great thing. Minerals can help antler growth, fawn health, milk production, and can be a great attractant.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Antlers are made up of mineral, calcium and phosphorus mostly. Any way you get those to deer will not hurt antler development. Salt is good for deer to a certain extent, It aids several bodily functions.

People get carried away with it though, a bit of salt goes a long ways and calcium and Phosphorus can be supplied from lime and fertilizer in well maintained food plots.

6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It truly depends on what you use...as previously stated....a mineral that is mostly salt is basically just an attractant. The good minerals out there will benefit overall deer health, of which more antler development is a byproduct....but even so, it takes time. No mineral will turn a thin racked buck into a thick horned monster overnight....but if you use it consistently, after 3 or so years you will start to notice that the average size of bucks is improving

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It cannot be proved without a shadow of a doubt it does or doesn't directly affect antler output....but I undoubtedly believe a healthy deer will optimize it's skeletal and bone structure INCLUDING ANTLERS. Hence why I use Monsterraxx! Encourage healthy deer and you will encourage healthy growth.

8. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, i'm a deer nutritionist and have helped grow world record size bucks. I also am a formulator and responsible for helping people create deer minerals. I also have invented the most state of the art deer mineral that is part of the reason why huge bucks are shot on the "home farm" A mineral program might add about 15" of antler growth to WILD deer. Farm deer wayyyyyyy wayyyyy more.

I use to put down over 1300 lbs of deer mineral per year and when i love talking deer mineral 101. Most of the products on the market are not designed by nutritionists or people who understand the right balance that deer need. Most also are way over priced and not solid nutrition.

I get people sending me testimonials all the time telling me how they can't believe in a week or two how much consumption their new deer licks are taking.

The right deer mineral has the right range of salt as salt regulate intakes. Too much salt and you wont get enough mineral consumed at a time. Too little salt and the deer will not be attracted enough to the lick. You want to use chelated trace minerals verses oxides , due to the huge differences in bio availability. You also want "clean dical"....especially in high iron parts of the US.

9. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You sure like to pat yourself on the back each post don't you.

10. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could care less about praise.....only success. I get paid to educate people. I've been blessed to be a part research the last 25 years into things that are not understood in the hunting industry.

11. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put out Monster raxx and salt mix, the deer are eating up the ground at the salt mix site and not touching the monster raxx site. Why should I spend the extra money for minerals. Q

12. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried this recipe from qdma. It has worked out great this year.
    1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

I also put out one monsterraxx site and it turned out well also

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My one Monsterraxx site is simply insane...been putting two bags down every 3 weeks and it is devoured faster than the 3 weeks typically. Pretty amazing considering it isn't a high salt mix or designed by nutritionist.

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ this.......:)

15. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's interesting how monster raxx seems hit and miss for some people but i've never heard anyone say deer didn't hit a salt lick.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I think deer are attracted to minerals subconsciously based on their nutritional needs....their bodies know when they need more minerals in their diet....then their brain remembers where to get it....just like every time i crave a burger i remember what restaurant has the best....i don't use monster raxx myself but have always noticed that when the deer don't want a mineral, they don't eat it....but when they do they can't stay away. I think pure salt (or mostly salt) blocks override the deers brain and make them eat it whether they need it or not.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Salt licks are just an attractant where MR is for health and less attractive. A lot is dependent on if the deer find where you put the MR and what time of the year it is. During the summer they have their food sources so if you start MR it might not take as well. In the early spring before growth its easy to find and they really need the minerals and thats when mine got hammered. A million things could play into why MR did or didnt work without considering what is in MR

18. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can ask just about any farmer if minerals help their livestock and I believe any that do use them would say absolutely. IMO there is no doubt they help. If you are having deer come to a real mineral site (not just a salt lick) then they are craving something in their diet and are there to get it. If minerals didn't help deer and livestock then why would us as humans take vitamins/minerals?!

19. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of you that are advocates of mineral licks.

Proof or not, at the end of the day, when i can make my own 200 lbs. of mineral lick for $50 from tractor supply co, it's well worth it.

The deer have basically created mini water holes from eating the dirt so much. In 1 year, i have holes 2 feet x 3 feet deep. Not to mention, at the very least, you're attracting them to your property and getting them in a pattern of spending more time on your property. IMO, you'd be a fool not to put out mineral licks (unless you buy the expensive stuff, then i'd evaluate my budget :) ).

20. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What specifically do you recommend for deer then.