How to keep cattle out of clover plot and minerals?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by HunterC., Jun 15, 2014.

1. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any easy fix to keeping cattle out of food plots and mineral sites? Once the cattle found my honey hole tucked back in the woods they have been hammering the clover and licked half a 20 lb trophy rock away... I don't want to build a fence changing the deer's patterns. Is there any simple tricks I can do to keep the cattle out and let the deer in??

Thanks,
    Hunter

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say fence, something simple as 4' rebar post and wire. Deer should still jump it no problem.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have same problem with keeping cows out and besides putting up a fence haven't really found anything. If the cows are used to being around a hot wire then could put one around the area. I can run one strand about waist high and keep cattle out and the deer just jump it.

Reason I say only if the cows are used to a hot wire is because I won't always make the wire "hot" and it will still work because they know what it is. Most the time I will hook it to charger the first week or so then after that I can turn it off to keep cows out. Reason being I'm not sure what the deer think about getting zapped so I try to prevent that so don't run them off.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible to move the cows out of the area? It would also help your deer hunting conditions

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have to fence off all of our mineral sites and food plots on our lease due to the farmers cattle. I haven't seen a change in deer behavior with the fence. They are used to jumping over cattle fence.

7. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks or the replies!

As far as moving the cattle off the lease... well that's a no-go, I wish I could but they are not my cattle nor is it my land so not much I can do there. There is only about 10 head in there so it really isn't all that bad.

I will probably try and get a fence up. I was just worried how the deer would react to it. I guess I could give it a shot and if it does effect the deer I could just remove it.

The cattle have literally went through almost half a 20 lb. Trophy Rock in 3 weeks.

8. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    high tensile fence with solar charger....deer will eventually get use to it. Set it up with 2 wires, one around 2 feet off the ground and another around 4'. The deer can jump over but the cows won't!!

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The farm I hunt has about 100 head of beef cows and about 85% of the ground has a fence around it. Deer don't mind much of it including the good barb wire fences.

I can tell ya though not to even bother hunting around the cows though cause if they're anything like the one we got they will sit under your stand wanting fed ha. It can be done though.

Good luck