My Plot Mix

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kurveball18, Apr 22, 2014.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I'm doing a new food plot that is located in the woods at my cabin. Can I get your opinion on the mix that i'm going to plant. The soil is sandy as its located in mid-Wisconsin.

Small Burnett
    Chicory
    Alfalfa
    White Clover

I was advised that this would be good in the sandy type soil. Do you think I should apply any fertilizer? if so, When? How much? and what kind?

Thanks guys

2. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to add. This is a small little quarter acre or so plot in the woods. I have attached an image to give you an idea. I'm going to try and get it a little bigger than pictured. 20140419_120127.jpg

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not familiar with the small burnett but from what I read about it...sounds very interesting. Sounds like it could be a pretty cool mix. Let us know how it does, I'd like to know more about how the SB works out.

4. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, everything i've read sounds good as well. Apparently it has a sweet cucumber taste that the deer like. I just hope my plot even grows. I just dont have the funds to be able to get a roto tiller and till up the ground and do the proper soil test. I know it is acidic and I did throw down about 400 pounds of lime and raked it in so it should help a bit I guess.

Knowing my luck, It will grow perfect and i'll never see a deer on it LOL

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The only way you'll never see a deer on it if it grows is
    1. You have no deer
    2. You never go back and look at the plot.
    :lol:

6. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    friend of mine tried some of that burnett in some sandy soil and it worked. not sure if the deer ate it.

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Any recommendations on what kind of fertilizer I should use if any? When I called the seed nursery place that i'm getting my seed mix from the guy said I really shouldn't need any. I find that hard to believe because just the little reading I've done, sandy soil you will always need some type of fertilizer based on the type of crops being planted. I just don't really know what.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt you'll need any nitrogen, some P and K probably wouldn't hurt. You could just get a couple bags of triple 13 or triple 20 and spread it if you're not going to do a soil test. The extra N won't hurt anything in sandy soil.

9. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to sound stupid by asking this but are these big like 20lb bags, little bags ect.? On a small plot like this is there a certain poundage I should total up too approx.?

Would you apply this at the same time when I spread my seed blend?

Thank you

10. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to know fertilizer and what to put down when or just to get some info about a ball park of wear soil levels are go over to the nearest crop farmer and just ask him. We asked the one across the street he had a soil sample sheet of paper nest to him so he helped us a lot with questions.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I am a farmer though not local to OP'er..it's impossible to know what it needs without a soil test and a size of the plot. The fert. generally comes in 50 pound bags. 100 pounds isn't going to hurt anything being that was previously and still is in close proximity to trees. I can't tell from the pic how many square feet or % of an acre the plot is but even if it's 1/8 of an acre 100 pounds of fertilizer isn't enough to hurt anything and if you get one bag spread and think it looks too thick you can always take a bag back or use it late as a fall application, it's not generally too expensive.

If you don't want to guess....there's a lab I use for soil testing called Waters labs, they do a pretty good test for under $12 per sample, will send you sample bags for free and have the results back in like 24 hours once received and will email you the results to printout. I did over $400 worth this year and was very pleased with the results from them.