Different Food Plots?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TwoBucks, Apr 22, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm just looking for some new ideas on food plots. What are some great options for early middle and late season plots? we usually do a rape/turnip mix and have crops all around our hunting land for summer food.

What do you guys plant to get the monster shot?

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy, lots of opinions and options on this one. A lot is really based on the plot size you have to work with, deer densities, other crops/food sources "competing" with yours, goal of your plot (nutrition/forage vs. attraction and kill plot), soil type, amendments, weather conditions, etc.,

Now that's the PC answer. :D The short of it is a brassica mix that includes a forage/leaf mixture (i.e. rape or kale) into the mixture will provide a lot of draw/attraction from early fall all through the late winter when they're pawing for the bulbs of the turnips and radishes.

A fall planted clover/grain mixture is a great fall attraction with the fresh green chutes of the grain (rye, wheat, or oats) providing a great draw for deer while the clover is germinating. Come spring, the clover will come back with the cereal often heading/seeding out (oats will most likely winter kill).

For summer time, a solid warm season annual like Soybeans, LabLab, etc., are a great choice, but you have to be careful about over browsing. Usually if deer densities are remotely healthy or high, you need a LARGE plot size, or use a fencing system to keep them out during the early stages of growth. You can also spring plant a variety of clovers (reds, crimsons, whites, etc.) that will all grow at different rates and under different conditions to give you the best protection against the unpredictable weather in the summer growing season (drought, wet conditions, normal, high heat, etc.,).

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :tu: Nailed it.

4. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at adding radishes into the brassica mix. Awesome early and mid season draw (probably late season too, but by then mine were gone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk