winter rye for anyones food plot program

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by scoot12, Apr 20, 2014.

1. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] Just wanted to pass on my thoughts on winter rye, here is my small plot from a few days ago, I put rye plot in beginning of this past September and all I did was disked up area with my groundhog max without spraying roundup and spread seed then drove over it with my atv. I didn't have time to do a soil test or spray and winter rye will grow in low ph soils and feeds deer fall and winter. As you can see they nail it first thing in the spring when they need food bad. Anyone looking for an easy to grow plot give it at try, it will be a staple of my food plot program now. Scoot

2. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    for sure. Hard to beat for food plots/soil building qualities.

3. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using it every year since starting food plotting. You really can't beat it. Throw some clover into the mix in the fall and you will have a fantastic spring plot. If I'm not mistaken, winter rye has some kind of weed deterrent in its root system.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plus it builds soil health.

5. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It great amazing on some poor soil for me last year. I really didnt see much evidence of it this fall though. I used on a deepwoods low sunlight area that got smothered in leaves. I cleared it with the blower 2 weeks ago. Perhaps after a couple weeks of sun hitting that plot it will spring back to life.

As far as price, ease of planting, and successful growth goes rye is great stuff. After the drought last summer I overseeded into a clover/peas/oats plot before a heavy rain and it filled it in the rough spots nicely.