Tree planting

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by JakeD, Apr 17, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got in my shipment of trees to plant in the next couple days. I got 100 pin oaks to plant on the primary property that I hunt. There are no oaks there whatsoever, so I hope these seedlings will be able to withstand the periodic flooding and grow fast. I really feel that if they make it to maturity that the deer and turkey will flock to these things.

The other trees that I have are for another farm. I have 200 cedars and 200 pines to plant as winter thermal cover for the deer. I hinge cut a section this winter to provide new browse and bedding on a south hillside. I am gonna try and go around the whole perimiter of the hinge cut area with these evergreens and hopefully have enough left over to create individual bedding spots.

Anybody else doing any tree planting this spring?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not nearly that many but yup!!!! That place is gonna transform brother over the coming year and more!

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    10 apple trees to put in. Hopefully next weekend if the snow is down far enough.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Want too but too late in the year for anything to happen this year anymore. I need to call local NRCS or someone along those lines as I haven't a clue where to even begin to put my thoughts into a plan.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jake, you are planting those pin oaks for your grandkids, I hope! ;)

We just picked up 34 trees...all fruit trees.....we will propagate off of these as well as sell a few of them

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! Well I want to....but not real sure of what to get. Apple trees I'm thinking, but just get what lowes/home depot has or what?? My neighbor has some peach tree saplings I could get too. Advice anyone?

7. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Matt if bears are not an issue i would go with apple, pear and plum trees.

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plant them in groups of 2 Dean?

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planting those pin oaks for me Tony! Hahaha. Actually I'm planting those mainly to give the deer and turkey another food source to help them out. I know it's a long way aways til results will be seen, but I can't wait til the day they start putting out acorns to see how the animals there react. They've never seen anything like acorns at this place, I'm sure they will love it.

Hopefully they will start producing acorns within the next 15 years. The ground they will be planted in is Mississippi River bottom ground and unbelievably fertile. I shouldn't be too old to see them produce. I'm in my late 20s now, so hopefully I can kill a buck or two off of them.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any nursery's in the area make root stocks specifically for deer? We have several in Wisconsin that are cross pollinating them specifically to make apples sooner and hold them longer into the season.

If not, the snow sweet trees are good for late season. There are many that are good for early season. Just talk to your local nursery.

Take at look at this:

Fruit Trees- Deer Candy Trees

And this for a list of good tree types and what time of year they drop:

http://www.wolfraths.com/garden-center/item/download/14_f788b4cf37fd95b7175095a094a2c6a4

Text me or let me know if you have questions.

11. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer groups of four.