tractors

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NCcrittergitter, Apr 15, 2014.

1. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for something as close to a compact as I can get, has to have a loader. I want something that I can work smaller food plots <5 acres, take care of gravel access roads, and just general work. I can't justify the price tag of the newer Kubotas, mahindras, JD's etc, since I won't be making me money. I'm definitely looking used in the 25-40 HP range. Any suggestion on models I should be looking for?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1111

Not really any suggestions, pickers can't be choosers if you're on a tight budget. You can window shop at the provided link and get a sample of what's available, size and price.
    You already know the top brands, you just have to see what you can find that seems the best value for your dollar.

I do love my little Kubota but it's new so it's easy to be biased at this point. I like older IH's too. Be careful with bargain brands.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My suggestion is to get the highest HP you can afford. If you don't, you will always wish you did. I have a 30hp and wish I had gotten the 35hp model. My 30hp tractor gets the job done, but there are a few tasks that would be easier with a little more HP. Also, if you plan on doing a lot of loader work, you might consider a tractor w. a hydrostatic transmission. It makes loader work a breeze. Never have to clutch and change gears.

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    As far as brands, honestly most of them are very similar. I have a Bobcat which is basically the same as a Kioti. It's a great tractor, built very heavy and very sturdy. Just make sure whatever you decide, it's a brand that is readily available and have parts and service.

5. NCcrittergitter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't justify $12K-$15K for a tractor that I'll use once every 2 months or so. I'm looking 10-15 year old models if anybody has any experience with older tractors. I looked at a JD 4100 with 2000hrs on it Friday, lawn mower dealer took it in a on a trade they were asking $7500, I offered $6K cash and I'd load it up right then, but they wouldn't budge.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whew, I thought you were going to ask for :dan: pictures of us up on a big red tractor...

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    All I have is older tractors except for the little Kubota, if you're careful there's nothing wrong with buying older tractors. The dealer wouldn't budge on it because it's already priced on or lower than the average price range for that tractor. It is well worth that price on the market and a good deal with those hours if it's in decent shape otherwise.

TractorHouse has a great search engine, go into it and search all with your price range and zip code and drive type wanted (MFWD) and look at the options. Most everyone that's anyone dealer wise, lists there. That should at least give you some direction.

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just go out and find yourself a good old Ford 8N. My dad stills has my grandpas from their childhood farm.

That tractor has taken some abuse over the years but it just keeps on going.

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know you dont want newr model JD's, but we have a 2308 (maybe 2305? i forget the last number) It has options for power take off, three point hitch, lawn mower deck, and a bucket. I know john deere is expensive but we absolutely love it and wish we had two. It handles all our needs. We have a brush hog attachment for the back for big mowing at the hunting land, a roto tiller which is awesome for food plots, and we have a grader attachment for leveling my dads gravel lots. Its expensive but it works. You can go older and cheaper, bu then your risking the break downs... just my two cents. I hope you find what you are looking for!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. NCcrittergitter

Dislikes Received:
    I've found a Mid 80's Kubota L2000 19hp clock says 1100 hours. could probably buy it for $2200, but I need a loader for it. Any experience with adding a loader? price?

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    New loaders run around $2500...should be able to find a loader or have a dealer try to locate one for you. Obviously price is going to vary a great deal but I'd imagine a grand would catch a good used one. Dealer should know what will fit.

12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a newer tractor. It has 45 hp and I have about 8 attachments including a backhoe. What I have learned is to try to buy something as a package deal. You will get the most bang for your buck if you can find one that has a loader already on it along with a couple of attachments for the back.

Hydrostatic transmission is the best for dirt work or work around the home in general. It also comes with hydraulics which are very handy for operating your implements.

If you get one, I guarantee you'll use it way more than once or twice a year.

13. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greg is right! package deals can save you alot of money.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I'd keep looking until I found one with a loader already. Is the tractor set up with controls for a loader? If not, it's going to cost at least a grand to upfit the tractor. Then the price of the loader on top of it. Going to have way more into it when your done then it will be worth.

Check out Tractorbynet.com and ask around on there. Lots of very knowledgeable tractor folks on that forum.

15. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is true. If I get another one it will be 55-60 hp. It depends on your needs. I would stay away from 20ish hp tractors. They are really just glorified lawnmowers.

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some very good points. My first was a 2005 JD 4210. I had to buy the loader since it didn't come with it. The PTO HP is important thing but I was amazed what my 4210 would run. I had a 5ft brush hog and the 665 Tiller and both worked great.

however I sold off the 4210 for a new 3320 due to fact I also use the tractor for mowing, yard work and snow removal. One thing you will for sure use it more than you think. Happy hunting