Increasing Calcium levels.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Jake/PA, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, yesterday I received the results from my soil tests. It could've been worse but it's definitely not that great. The calcium levels are very low, while the magnesium levels are through the roof. After some searching I found two ways to raise the level, high calcium lime or gypsum. From what I understand high cal is just that, but will also raise the PH. The other option, gypsum, will raise calcium without affecting the PH.

So this is the scenario. I only have one food plot at a good PH, the others need lime. Do I spread high cal lime on the low PH fields, while only spreading gypsum on the field with a good ph? Or just spread high calcium lime on all the fields?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is the price difference for you between the high cal and the gypsum. To me I wouldn't worry about sweetening the ground too much...so the high call may be the easiest scenario as you could get just one thing, but than again not sure exactly never been confronted with this scenario personally.