Watering Hole

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Spear, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So while I was out shed hunting and putting out minerals/filling the feeder, I also installed a watering hole. There was already a natural depression in the ground that collected water about 15 yards from my stand which is one of the reasons I placed my stand here so I decided to improve it by making it bigger and burying a small plastic bin so it can collect more and cleaner water. I made sure to put a branch in it in case any rodents fall in and need a way out. But my main question is, I film my own hunts and although I am not opposed to hunting over bait (but I do think it's annoying when professional hunters try to hide their bait and pretend they aren't using any), do you consider hunting over a watering hole bait or cheap? I'm not sure if I want to keep it there or move it to another location. My stand is already along a natural deer path atop a hillside so it won't matter one way or another but I don't want it to lessen the exitement of my hunts so I need some opinions from other hunters/the audience.

EDIT: I also wanted to add, I won't be hunting over and food or mineral bait in my hunting videos but not sure what to think about a watering hole.

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem with hunting over a self created watering hole. Some will have a problem with it and some won't. Like you said...just don't try to pretend you aren't doing that like some shows.

3. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Throw some logs over it like on TV and no one will see it!

I wouldn't think of it as cheating...

4. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No different than sitting over a corn field or whatever else you planted....do it up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input everyone! I would certainly never try to hide that I was doing it, I just wasn't sure what the perception would be or whether an audience would mind it.