Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scott/IL is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian Wheat planting?

How wide of a strip do you plant? I was thinking a 10-15' strip should provide the needed cover?

One plot is a triangle a 1/3 of an acre. The other is a rectangle 2/3 of an acre. Should I just enclose both plots? Create a jagged border? I mainly want to just keep the plot seperated from the large fields they border.

I've also read that over seeding creates a shorter, more durable plant, while also being a thicker screen.
    2010 Bowhunting.com CHAMPS---Team 6 Tineacious

PCO50 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that would be plenty. I've been thinking about planting some of this on my property as well.
    Hoyt Rampage XT
    Apache stabilizer
    Trophy Ridge React sight
    Rage Broadhead
    Schaffer rest

Scott/IL is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I can get my plots ready in time, I plan on getting some in.

Was going to start clearing the ground next Saturday, but we got a foot of snow today lol.
    2010 Bowhunting.com CHAMPS---Team 6 Tineacious

pastorandrew is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    10 foot would be plenty, main things are to get the weeds killed ahead of time, till it up plant it, pack it, then spread some urea on it. it loves nitrogen, mine is still standing from last year, I wouldn't plant it thick though, I would think that would cause it to be spindly because of it's competition with itself for light,water, and nutrients.
    Genesis 27:3 "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me venison."

Our lives are living epistles, what story does your tell?

John 3:17 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

Northwoods Whitetails is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    10 to 15 feet is fine. I would stick with 8 to 10 pounds per acre maximum. Plant around end of May (Illinois), and you should get 12 feet in height. If you use too much, you may be dissapointed in the results. Good luck with it.
    John
    www.northwoodswhitetails.net

Your new source for quality food plot seed.

sycamoretwitch is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't planted any EW yet but plan to try it out this year. I've read a lot of articles on it and you really don't need to plant it any wider than 5 feet if you are just looking to create some cover, screen or funnel. The stuff grows really tall and thick, with it being 5 feet wide it will be thick enough that you can't see to the other side and tall enough you can't see over it.

I think it's probably a better cover and funnel source than it is food source although it would appear that the deer will use it as a late season food source.

Post pics of your planting(s) as I love following along and seeing the progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would highly reccomend 8 to 10 feet minimum. I have planted this stuff alot lately, and 10 feet wide seems to be the best.
    I have yet to see deer eat this. Maybe once the snow gets deep, and all other food is gone they may hit the seed heads.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah from my readings I don't think your planting EW with the expectation that deer will eat even though they might, I think your trying to improve your deer habitat to make them feel more secure. The plant is very drought resistant - if you are like me living in the Midwest we got hammered pretty hard last year with the drought so that it something you always have to consider.

Dunn County is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plot Screen by Frigid Forage is an alternative to strictly EW. I have some on order for this season as the guys at www.midwestwhitetail.com (Bill Winke) use it a lot and have had great results with funneling and screening.
    Mathews Creed
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX RH Mathews Lost Camo
    AXT Primal X5
    NAP Bloodrunner/Killzone 100g Broadheads
    Victory VAP 400 Arrows
    Ranger 100 Rangefinder: Vortex
    Easton Full Metal Jacket
    Muddy Vantage Treestands
    Muddy Camera Arm/Micro Mount
    Monster RAXX Mineral/Attractant
    Covert Trail Cams

DLC Covert Pro Staff
    Monster RAXX Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like
    Frigid Forage screen is also 2 to 3 time as expensive as Egyptian Wheat. It really adds up if your screens are an acre or more.

tynimiller is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Whitetails View Post
    Frigid Forage screen is also 2 to 3 time as expensive as Egyptian Wheat. It really adds up if your screens are an acre or more.
    Yeah, sorghum screens just fine too and honestly the hybrid seed can be had for very affordable. I'll be using both Egyptian wheat solo, Sorghum solo and a blend of the two this year to just experiment with them. Also sorghum can be sown with switchgrass with great success in acting like a nurse crop for the switch. Never done it myself but many of my QDM buds and seed guy from MI has with great success.
    The Deer Alarm...an interesting article on re-examining how deer "think" and react.

www.smallacrehunting.com
    Site based on spreading experiences and knowledge that any hunter can learn from....not too mention I try to have as many giveaways as I can afford!

Yes I lost to the Kansas boys...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested in trying soughum sudan grass. I have seen where people rave about it. But for this year, my screens will be strictly EW.
    I will have some experiment areas though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone tell me for certain if EW is or is not invasive?? I have done some research and some suggest that it "might be" invasive? I was under the understanding that it was an annual and that the seeds from the mature plant would not germinate?

Skywalker is online now Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be planting it for the first time this year. I will be planting 10 ft wide in most areas. I am using as a screen to help make the deer feel more secure, and to allow me to get in and out without getting busted. I just picked up my bag the other day. I had to buy a 50lb bag from my local seed company because they had never sold it before and didn't want to take the risk of having it on hand, and not selling the rest. It was a little more expensive than what they had quoted me. Original price was about $80 for a 50lb bag, but when I picked it up, it was $97.00 I didn't complain, I don't mind doing local business when I can, and I didn't have to pay shipping so I can't complain too much. No way I will use anywhere close to the 50lbs, so I will store the rest and plant in the future, or if someone needs some seed, I'd be willing to sell it and ship it. If anyone is interested, let me know.
    2012 Prime Centroid
    G5 Optix RX Sight
    QAD Ultrarest HDX
    6" Axion Silencer Stabilizer
    G5 Mag-Loc Halo Quiver
    Carbon Expresss Maxima Blue Streak Arrows
    Rage 2 blade broadhead

Post Thanks / Like
    Egyptian Wheat is noninvasive and an annual similar to corn. This stufff makes a great instant bedding area as well as screeens, funnels, and travel corridors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast