Kill Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NCcrittergitter, Feb 13, 2013.

1. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sent this to Tylan, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

I’m wanting to put in at least 4 small plots in the woods. Example would be 40 yards by 60 yards, should I stick with a no till mass produced product? What would you suggest I put in these wooded plots? Our bow season starts second week of September so I’d need to put something in early to mid august and ideally leave it alone.

Below is the property we have, orange is the boundary, red circles are where we hunt and where I’ll be putting the plots. There’s nothing planted in any of the fields, and cows are being put on most of the open fields. There’s lots of ridges and old logging trails where I’m at.

MTN.jpg

Attached Files:

• MTN.jpg
      MTN.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Though this may not be a whole lot of help, I'm also doing something similar just on a smaller scale then yours. I'm using Evolved Harvest ProVide Clover & Chicory mix. Though I'm putting them all in with no equipment just hand tools. Aslong as you test the soil an use lime and fertilize correctly, you should be able to get a food plot anywhere you got some decent sunlight an rain/moisture rich ground you'll be fine. That's just from my research an slight knowledge of gardening, first time tryin this product though.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to be looking into this over lunch hour, but let me first say it appears you've got a great area, that'll go a long way! Fuzz...you recommend on mix I am sure to state as well! :D

4. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good rye/wheat/oat mix is a real good kill plot attractant. Another is 1/2 clover, 1/2 brassica.
    Good diversity will help.

5. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see you sell this stuff. I'm looking at the throw and grow stuff right now. Fix me up something that I can plant in he woods that'll come up with at best a garden tiller to turn the soil. You can PM me if you'd like or post it here either way. I need enough to put in 4 40 yard by 60 yard plots. I'd be glad to document the entire process and post it.