Where to get seeds

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by blueicefire, May 31, 2016.

1. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm reading through all these and normally the places I hunt have been family lands that they really don't want you to do too much in the sense of creating plots. This year, I have permission on two sets of lands to create some plots and I'm reading through all these and talking about mixing all these different types of seeds.

So the question is, do you just go out and get all these seeds separately and then mix them yourselves or do you buy the already mixed stuff like at a chain sporting goods store? I mean, some of the recommendations are very specific and I really don't think the chain places have it like what is mentioned.

Kinda confusing..

2. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually started using amazon this year to get some of my seed, free shipping with prime. Otherwise I get the extra from test plots i.e. soybeans, corn & sunflowers from the local ag research place in town.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ I do the same thing!

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Local ag supply would be my first choice.

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get most all mine from Co-Op. You'll get double the seed for half the price...lol. Evolved Habitats and such work good, just a lot of money for very little seed....

Sent from my SM-S820L

6. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    So right now these plots are going to be small in the woods where I can clear some space out and get some light.. So I don't think I'll need much. What's that Co-Op place? Is there a website or something I can look through? I'll start taking a look at amazon as well.

7. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We go to a local seed house to get some of the more exotic mixes like chickory and clover mixes and almost any thing else. For normal ag seed, we ask our farmer friends for half bags or whatever they have left over. The seed house with mix whatever you ask and whatever portions you want. They can also give you some advice on what works best. The seed house is way cheeper then all the store bought name brand food plot seeds that are offered and work just the same.

8. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    co-op just stands for your local cooperative at least here inND. Like bootlegger said some of the seed on amazon is double price and half the seed but just do some research before buying and you should be fine

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've not used amazon for seed. Local Co-Op would just be whatever local ag feed, seed, elevator there is around.

I like Greencoverseed.com, they've been an invaluable resource for me for food plot stuff and the owners are good conservative Nebraska christians.

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky that we do ag research and always have leftover products that get thrown out but my buddy that sells seed can get his hands on just about anything I need since cover crops are becoming such a big deal. I would try to find a seed dealer or a co-op before buying anything from a big box store.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you buy seed with a picture of a buck on the package you are over paying. I get all my seed at the local feed mill.

12. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking I'm going to need to need to ask some local farmers where they get their seeds if it's that much cheaper. I think with the size for this year I'll be ok with the stuff I already bought, but want to start thinking for next year.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely going to pay more for the deer pic like Sota said. We have a couple of good places around here that offer seed. Most of the local places will mix anything that you'd like in any ratio that you desire.

14. popgun

popgun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind paying a little extra for the pre-blended mixes. I've tried finding certain seed varieties in the past to mix myself and by the time I find them I spent more money and time than I would have buying products directly from the company. I also bought some seed off Amazon and it was out of date and I returned it.

15. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year I got my seed from Green Cover Seed. Even with shipping they beat the local places by a long shot

16. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: