Wet Plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NEW61375, Apr 14, 2016.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is our second year kind of going full throttle with food plots on our farm. Liming/fertilizing this weekend at 2 tons per acre lime & 0-100-40 fertilizer (based on soil sample results and planting soybeans). We are feeling pretty excited for the bean plots and some of the clover/alfalfa plots from last season but one of our best fields as far as location sits in the lowest point on the property along a creek bottom and tends to stay swamped. Not necessarily holding a ton of water but wet soil.

So we're looking into deer vetch? Maybe a clover blend designed for swampy areas or wetlands?

Anyone have any experience with similar soils? Recommendations?

About an acre, good amount of direct sunlight, soil ph is 5.8, we're gonna go ahead and lime it this weekend since it's dry (about 2 tons). We're gonna wait on fertilizer until we can come up with something to plant.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a plot that tends to stay pretty wet on my property. Doesn't hold water, but I would be nervous to drive a truck across it. Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover does fine in the plot. Actually, that plot tends to yield more crop than any of my others.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good luck with clovers in a wet/moist situation.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We planted chicory one year in an area that was wet more than dry. It did really well.

5. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a quick update. We ended up prepping close to 7 acres for plots. We didn't worry about the water too much and pretty much just copied Grant Woods methods from Growing Deer TV almost exactly. The biggest difference was we didn't use a grain drill to plant just broadcast at a slightly higher pound per acre.

Ended up planting nearly 5 acres (4 plots) in Eagle Seed Large Lad & Big Fellow (RR Forage Soybeans). To say we are pleased would be a huge understatement! A ton of work and lots of credit to my brother who logged a bunch of hours on the tractor. Siill have to get back next month and put in the last 2 acres with our fall blend but hoping that doesn't take near as long since there pretty much prepped.

We'll have a bunch more pics and some video soon I hope as we just freshened minerals and put out cams so crossing our fingers for a bunch of deer, a shooter or 2, and 0 yotes would be great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]