Plot Mix suggestions

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by rayder, Aug 18, 2016.

1. rayder

rayder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We'll be seeding a 2 acre plot this weekend, plan is to establish half of it into a clover plot then maintain it as that for several years. The other acre we want to have more a late season mix. My question is what cover crop would you recommend to use with the clover blend? For the late season mix I'm planning on putting in turnips and rape, and more than likely try radishes.
    I guess what are your favorite food plot mixes?
    I should add that we're located in northern Michigan.
    Thanks in advance!

2. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would use winter rye or cereal rye its called as the cover crop for the clover. The other half the plot I would plant a strip of brassicas. A great brassica blend would be great and add some radishes to it. The other half of that I would plant in a cereal grain mix. Winter rye, oats and peas would be a great combo for this. Most important is have your ph in the plot up to par. Give the deer a smorgasborg and you will be in business.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like a mix of winter peas and oats.

4. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will sound crazy, but try soy beans as a cover crop. Obviously, they will never mature and produce pods due to planting them this time of year. But they will jump up quick and take the pressure off the clover and late season forage. I've been doing this for years and it has awesome results!

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna try that. Planning on putting in a few small plots this weekend. I have some beans I was wondering where I was gonna put them. I'll just mix with the clover. Thanks.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one thing to watch is not to broadcast them at the same time. I found out that the little clover seed will all be in one place and the beans will be in another if you broadcast them together. How are you planning on planting them?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail Institute Wintergreens.