The New 22 - Let The Transformation Begin

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, May 24, 2016.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As many of you know I've recently purchased a chunk of ground somewhat near to my home (20-30 minutes away) that will serve as not only hunting ground but also a big habitat manipulation project!!! **Now there is a slight chance this property will be used to turn for a profit in an attempt to buy a portion of the farm I currently hunt (MUCH BETTER LOCATION) but if not this little chunk is gonna be killer!

Brief Description of Property:

Acreage: 22.27 Acres Total

Layout/Terrain:

Fairly flat for the most part with only small grade changes (never more severe than 10degrees).
    It is for the most part a North/South Rectangle with a 2.2 acre wooded square attached on the NE corner of it. The main rectangle has a nearly 1000 foot long pond (about 10 to 30 feet wide varying spots) that is placed basically smack dab in the middle of it like a key hole.
    On each side of the pond are two fallow fields which at one time were both farmed. The one on the West side has sat fallow the longest and about 2/3 of it not seen a plow or farm equipment long enough to have cedar trees taller than me (I'm just shy of 6ft.). The East side was farmed as recent as 4 years ago and is predominately overcome by multi-flora rose and other thick briar variations as well as sycamore saplings scattered everywhere.
    Mature trees are located circling the pond, the woods, some along the borders and some in the southern forest as well.

OVERALL AREA DESCRIPTION:

Rural most definitely. There is a large 100 acre ag field to the SE and some woods to the south, but beyond those to the SW, S and SE are housing developments and further yet a river and commercial buildings. To the West are homes immediately. To the East is a large open field and creek bottom, which than butts up to an industrial complex. To the NE is a blueberry patch of about 24 acres, to the direct N and NW are houses or businesses. But N of the Blueberry patch (across a road) is another section of woods and ag fields probably in the 200 acre or so size. For a total of about 450-550 acres of "contiguos" woods/ag fields.

Further N is the toll road, which I know deer cross some, and if they do they then hit immediate large scale ag fields and woods (thousands of acres).

--------------------​

I'll post a bunch of pictures and then continue to update this thread with things we accomplish or do. Right now all we've been able to do (pops and I) is get the main access trail to the fallow fields cleared back, 80+ Norway Spruces in the ground, and lined up a brush hog to use on the briar thick fallow field which will be the area for numerous planned food plots.

Updates:

LATEST and longest video (May 2017)

Illustrates a lot of the property and shows a bunch of it as well. Includes a tour of the food plots throughout too.

Video #1 http://forums.bowhunting.com/redirect-to/?redirect=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNY-Y2n8Cqw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait to follow this thread.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the sounds of that. You got any trail cams up and running yet?

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have seen your Facebook posts but care to share some pictures/updates on here?

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll try updating it with the new video embedded and pictures. We are gonna do some done flight videos this late summer too after plots are in.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How's it going?

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing what you do. It will give me some ideas as well.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
  9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good bud, plans sound great. I really like that property.

Hows the new tractor working out?

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The Ford 3000 has been awesome...thing fires up and purrs excellently. We slipped the tire the first day brush hogging with it though as we suspected the rim was pretty bad (owner before weighed them with calcium inside and corroded bad). Replaced that rim with a brand new one and replaced oil and filters (winter will see complete fluid change)...new battery also installed just to be safe.

Thing has went to and from our two properties by roadway (30 minute drive) and drives like a champ (does need new break pads in off season though).

Only thing I know (we knew buying) is we'll miss not having a bucket but for cases where we absolutely need one if so I can get another tractor for a weekend from a buddy.

Oh one thing maybe you can help. we noticed with our 6ft disc the added weight to the rear lighted up the front just a tick enough to cause turning radius to suffer slightly...little added front weigh would work. How does one go about doing so? Is there a spot up front to do this that you know of?

11. MILKMAN

MILKMAN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If its not equipped with it you can buy or make a plate that mounts to the front axles to hold a couple suit case weights.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Gonna look into it probably this offseason. If all goes according to plan, thing will have another new rim on the opposite side as well in the rear. Brand new fluids, brakes, seat and perhaps even a partially restored paint job (not showroom quality but 20 yard quality haha).

13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Ty,
    Check these spots. You probably already have pre threaded holes there can make brackets for. If you do, I'd make/buy a rock box and fill/take out weight and use haul seed what not at same time. If not, someone could probably drill out and thread it for you. My Ford 1900 at work has holes there and I mounted a 30 gallon tank on it for spraying. Would be another option for ya.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could have fluid put in the front tires but I like Travis's suggestions. I don't like fluid filled tires at all.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Loving the thought here! Be awesome to mount a huge sprayer up front on the tractor much larger than our small four wheeler can handle.

16. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well figured I'd slap these here as well....first buck off the ground was shot Tuesday night. Splits.

2016-10-25-20-13-06.jpg 2016-10-26-14-52-59.jpg 2016-10-26-15-39-35.jpg 2016-10-26-15-42-08.jpg

boonerville likes this.
  18. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    What did he end up scoring? Love the matching splits.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Throwing the tape at him tonight.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations thats a beaut of a buck!!