Food plot suggestions

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Duece Ranch, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1468264833.406611.jpg
    Ok so we have a nice spot tucked into the holler, crossroads, bottleneck, creeks and all,
    Old stone cabin in Ky what are the top three things to plant, or should a protein feeder do the trick.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend a mixture of Oats, winter wheat and cereal rye with a sprinkling of ladino clover. Should just be able to scratch up the ground, throw it down and rake it in or cultipack it. A feeder is nice but you have to refill it so ultimately it will cost more. I would do both though :tu:

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clover is always my go to crop. Everything else is a bonus option.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does that spot get alot of sun or is it alot of shade and "some" sun? Thats will help dictate what you can plant there.

For be clover would be a storng option. I am also a big fan of WTI Forage Oats.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Protein feeders should only be used as a supplement source because they have to be refilled often and are unreliable. As a food source a well managed plot is always more beneficial overall.

6. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would do a winter rye and oats mix with some clover added in.

7. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the prompt responses . To answer one question it does get sun but not all day, it's down 200 feet from hilltops so mainly midday sun, I planted something called 7 top last year it had some clover in it, so I agree. I will probably go back with clovers do maybe turnips . I would like to go with winter wheat maybe in another area, truth is I'm trying to not let anything get too tall, in a word snakes...

8. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eagle seed broadside (contains soybeans, wheat, radish, turnips so in theory you could just make your own mix) & add some snow peas & oats. Probably not the best to plant right now but could be planted soon. Plant 45-60 days before first frost which is probably somewhere around Oct. 1.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I subscribe to the minimum of 3 forages theory with my MIG background. Oats, wheat, rye, triticale and barley offer 25% lower protein and only 1/3 the mineral content of clovers and brassicas.. They also don't yield any higher. Their advantage is they grow under less than ideal conditions. I always tell people to at least add forage peas to their grains.

My 3 forages i could never live without....winfred brassica, radish and berseem clover. The radish gives forage, loosens the ground, and uptakes nutrients and rereleases them the following spring. The berseem clover fixates a lot of nitrogen, it grows fast and the deer love it and the nutritional benefit. Winfred grows in most soils, is drought and cold tolerant and gives a lot of nutrition with high yields.