Disk for food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by brosta671, Sep 8, 2016.

1. brosta671

brosta671 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in the process of making any small plots bigger. In the last yr but I onlyy have a tiller and what I'm clearing for my food plots are small poplar trees so the tiller doesn't work so well. Do you a disk would be easier to use and would it run right thru the stumps? Don't have money to get a bobcat to remove them.

2. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a quad or side by side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have an ATV or UTV you can use the Groundhog Max disk. That does a good job of the vegetation is cleared.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest the tartar disc if you can afford it, best one that I have been a part of.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would think a disc would work as long as you have them cut off close enough to the ground for the disc to pass over.

6. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cut the trees off at the ground and rent a disc for $30. It goes right over the stumps. I disced a half acre the other day in 2 hours taking my time and allowing the Ranger to cool down. With a little weight added it cuts right into the ground good. I'm not a fan of the Groundhog Max, as to me it seems like it puts a lot of extra stress on the quad.

I've also burned stumps too, to get them out but that takes some time.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This all depends on the equipment you have available. If you have a tractor definitely use a disc. Most places around here you can rent 3pt discs pretty reasonable. You can even rent the tractor as well. Might be worth going that way to save the atv/utv.
    If you only have an atv or utv you could use a disc behind them. Puts lots of wear and tear on the atv size. That's why we bought a little tractor.

8. WoodGreedy

WoodGreedy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use this combo. Works Very well! Make it as big as you want. The disk will go through brush and small stumps. Big trees you better go around. Areas new to food plots I like to use a plow to turn over the brush and weeds.

Attached Files: