Clover - Tribute to Lickcreek

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TwoBucks, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to try to save some of the information that will likely be lost forever from the QDMA Forum which is closing later this summer. If any of the powers to be decide that this isn't proper feel free to delete this thread, but I think that it may be worth it to save some invaluable food plot information.

Here is a link to a google drive folder that I will save the thread to:

Clover - Tribute to Lickcreek

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I got a chance to get out and check a 2.5 acre foodplot that we started this year. We seeded it into clover/barley and let the rain work the seed in. Germination on the barley is pretty bad but the germination on the clover is so-so.. Looking back we should have dragged the barley in and rolled the clover in and then we would have had a lot better results.

Pics to follow.

3. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some of the pictures of our clover plot. This plot was planted about June 25th and we disced the ground, then spread a mix or red, white, sweet, and either aslike or ladino, along with barley for a cover crop and let the rain work it in. Looking back we should dragged the grain in and rolled the clover. I may need to come in with some clethodim later this year to help this plot out.
    IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    These pictures are representative of the average in this plot, some had great germination and some drowned out.

4. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a update on the clover plot covered with barley. Planted June 20th ish [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I mowed one strip down the length of the plot to test and see if the clover would come back stronger afterward. Over all I am very happy with how this turned out for the first time we planted clover. I may try to use some clethodim and crop oil on this plot later in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone thinking about doing some frost seeding this year?

I frost seeded about an acres worth of a mix of two annual clovers, I forget which two but I am hoping to have some great results! Everything from bare brassica plots to plots with a good amount of left over brassica leaves and grass from last fall. It will be interesting to see where the cut off is on leftover brassicas and their alleopathic effects on small seeds like clover.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, frost seeded some Ladino over last year's medium red/ladino mix.

7. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, never thought to frost seed into our existing clover. This will be year two on our perennial clover plot. I am expecting that it will need a shot of clethodim.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had success with it in the past. Depends on how the fall planting looked. If I see spots that could use top dressing to fill in a bit, I will often frost seed the following late winter.

9. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    We planted our perennial clover in the spring with a barley cover, unfortunately the barley part didnt work out. I think we have good germination and now we just need to do weed control