Best deer feeder...gravity style.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Siman/OH, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you had to use one feeder for deer, gravity style, what would it be?

2. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's interesting.
    We use bossbuck feeders. While I've been pleased with them, I wouldn't go so far as to say don't look at any others. I'd recommend them but Creeks suggestion looks very interesting. Redneck makes some decent ones too I think.

4. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried boss buck, moultrie, Redneck, etc.....My last one was the Redneck Post Feeder......Same problem, I put PVC around T post, it don't make a darn....the darn squirrels just jump instead of climb up on feeder.....LOL

I think it's best just to throw or scatter it out in a large area.....that way you don't have to see the squirrels invading your feeder....LMAO

Creeks!!

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I don't think there's any way to keep squirrels off them. I've never noticed a problem with squirrels though on any of ours. What plagues ours are coons. Doesn't matter how many of the damn things I trap, there's always a billion more to take their place. I see squirrels on ours from time to time and on the ground quite a bit but not to an extent I worry about and I have cameras set up on all of them.
    Now my bird feeder here at home, that's a different story. lol

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A chainsaw :evilgrin: I can make more food with that for the least amount of money for years to come :tu:

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sort of...
    Food plots are also relatively cheap but they are hard to plan right to provide 24/7/365 food and even when planned right, nature has a way of flipping you the bird. Also in some cases, where a feeder is needed, it's the only viable option. If a person wants a feeder they want a feeder.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah yeah.

Were talking feeders here troll :bash:

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I'm pretty sure the Ohio Rules state you shall have no less than 1 feeder per 100 acres of hunting land.

gjs4 likes this.
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    we did for a few years in off season use a battery timed one which didn't hold enough as the does discovered they could just lick the spinner and have corn come out all the time....was nuts

11. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am using the muddy 200 lb gravity feeder this season and it seems to be going just fine. I took out the agitator since I really didnt see a point in it... but wasn't a bad buy a while back for $100, Just is kinda time consuming putting it all together screw by screw.

12. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the banks gravity feeder and it works great. My problem isn't squirrels, it's raccoons! They will climb the center post and hang from the feed ports. The feeder itself is great, it's light weight and I don't see any reason it won't last forever.

13. BowHuntingBabe

BowHuntingBabe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Took this thread into consideration with the advice from folks around me durin my time researchin gravity feeders before i purchased. I ended up going with a good ole moultrie gravity tripod off the recommendation of https://naturesglade.com/the-compre...enefits-and-choosing-the-perfect-one-for-you/

My dad has always used moultrie so i figured not to stray and as far as the squirrels go, my dad has always used leg blocks just for future reference up. thanks everyone

14. deerlab

deerlab Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of Redneck Blind's T-Post Gravity Deer Feeder, especially with smaller areas and along travel corridors. It includes a strap for trees, or you can put it on a t-post. I haven't had any issues with squirrels or raccoons.

15. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been using a 300lb boss buck for over 7 years and love it., I raised the legs 5 inches to help keep the racoons from reaching the feed tubes, . Ive tried every thing I could to deter squirrels, but they still get on it, I attached slinkies to the top of the legs and stretched them out and attached them to the bottom and they stopped climbing up the legs. a few still jump directly up onto the tubes but not as many . Also I covered the tops of the tubes with thin aluminum to keep them from chewing on the fiberglass , On my lease with Hogs they use post feeders , tripod feeders will get destroyed,

16. gjs4

gjs4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a place in se OH last year...all this was new to me. If I had it to do over again I might look harder into something real big like a Texas Feeder (Tagged Out Wildlife out of Athens sells them) but what i bought were a few of these-
    https://www.amazon.com/HECASA-Gravi...7&sprefix=gravity+deer+feeder,aps,123&sr=8-13

Was getting 4-6 weeks out of them with corn. PM me with any questions.

Put a thin smear of marine grease on the legs and never had a varmint issue. The locals that have piles on the ground feed more raccoons and trash than they do deer IMO. Another neighbor runs a spinner- good for does and the on rare occasion a younger buck. Not suggested. Then again my feeders (which supplement plots and are never hunted) had a bunch of <3yo bucks only depsite a couple older ones working the plots on occasion. Starting to think there are limited locations and conditioned herds that feel comfy with bait sites and may do the "ohio impossible" and not run any this year.

17. gjs4

gjs4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention- I went hard down the research rabbit hole prior.

Spin seem to scare bucks, and plastic are susceptible to squirrels trying to gnaw in for the last little bit corn inside. Had a buddy between us lose a 1200 lb BossBuck to this.

If plastic isnt a fear, i would check out redneck. Both they and a company called hammer head make timers for the gravity chutes.