Frost Seeding Switch into Fallow Fields

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Nov 9, 2016.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I know a drill is best, but I also know many have had great success with switchgrass frost seeding....my question is does anyone have experience doing so into fallow fields which have grown up with weeds and scrub grasses?

My thoughts were to broadcast spread it into an area at the New Property which we are setting aside as bedding cover....it is a fallow field which has even grown up with Cedars my height or higher scattered among saplings and weeds/grasses. We did brush hog some artery trails through it and even a small circle patch of probably 30 yards by 30 yards in the Summer.

I want to increase the cover potential of this area by bringing in hybrid willows, bush type trees native to Indiana but I've also thought about trying to get some switch growing throughout it. So my thought was to frost seed the areas we brush hogged for sure...and throughout the rest as well or a portion of it. Brush hog the area in the Spring before anything tacks off to give a thatch top layer over the seeds and then see what happens. Again I'm not necessarily desiring a solid thick stand of switch but would love to see it throughout the area.

Anyone done anything similar?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be intrigued by how you fair with this. We have a hog pasture that has grown up similar over the last 20 years. Some of the cover could be enhanced to make it even better. I have also thought about tucking a small 40 yd × 30 yd food plot in the back corner as well.

Every buck on my property will frequent this area. Last year Cecil lived in here. A week after he was killed, a new buck began calling it home. The area is also nearly impossible to hunt.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, those overgrown fields are dynamite spots and like you said can be extremely difficult to hunt due to security cover but their ability to sense and see or hear you coming from quite a ways off yet slip off unseen.

I want to make it a better sanctuary...not planning on hunting (maybe a fringe hunt a time or two if still a tag left come prime).

My plan is even to haul in dirt to make mounds and small burms throughout instead of it being flapjack flat...