Man....if all works out we won't know what to do?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Jul 27, 2016.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So as many of you know this spring a land deal seriously fell into my lap out of the blue...never thought I'd own land let alone more than a couple acres (shade over 22 acres). So needless to say we were pumped...

Also as many of you know 90%+ of all our foodplotting over the years is man powered or small engine powered: meaning walk behind/push tillers and garden tractor drags. Well Pops decided with this new land it simply was too much acreage not to have a serious tractor. With a budget of $3,000 we've begun shopping craigslist...with the full understanding most likely Ford 8ns and similar are our price range and still have cash for implements (disc and bush hog main desires).

Well stumbled across a Ford 3000 that the guy is asking a below market $2500 for and it fully functions, live pto, metal is straight, one new rear tire other at 80%, and he bought it a few years ago and has replaced or fixed up nearly everything save the motor which doesn't need it.

To top it off he said he'll part with his bush hog too....5ft-2blade-pto.....

Not sure how I'll take putting in plots riding not walking/sweating/bleeding/dehydrating if this goes through....maybe I'll start looking like all you other middle aged food plotters: little plumper in the mid section haha! The tiller plots always were good for a couple pounds lost.

IF I get it anyone have experience with the 3000s or 4000s (very similar)?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Owned an 8n when I was a kid, always liked it, traded it in on a new 80hp belarus in 2000. Still own a 4610 ford and it's a heck of a tractor...no cab or air though. The 4610 has a loader on it and it's handy as all get out. I'd look at the package deals on the new Kubota and Deeres before I settled on older stuff.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing new is gonna be touched with our price range Covey :lol:

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    No, not completely paid for. You have plenty for a nice down payment though.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Besides land or home or emergencies...pops isn't the kind of person to finance stuff, and I've been raised similar. The only reason I'd justify it is if I had a TON of ground (similar to you) or was a farmer. Only thing really I'll miss is not having a loader otherwise this thing will accomplish everything we need it to and then some. Doubt we ever touch or need it's full power.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Now.....once land is paid off and wife is happy with a home in the school district she teaches (4-5 years from now most likely)....I'd consider financing a new tractor, but not a big fan of compounding payments and debt. By then vehicle need may be present as well.

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man! I hope it all works out for ya!

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I used to think that way as well and on a small scale it's the wise way to go I guess. Only problem is when stuff breaks and has to go in to the shop, they'll eat up the difference pretty fast.

I bought my little Kubota with a three point mower with nothing down and costs me about $2500/year. A loader wouldn't have punched that up much at all. Little disks are cheap used. Yanmar has some good deals now.

TractorHouse.com | 2016 YANMAR 324XHI TLD For Sale

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree. We will be able to do some or most of the repairing outside major stuff ourselves...and I made friends with a retired neighbor who his hobby is old tractor work, he said if we get one and it needs work just drop it off and he'd love to help so long as we cover parts and maybe some beverages.

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love my 4610.

Cab and air takes away from it all.

3000 should be a great tractor for that purpose, Ty.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thant's nice but may not be very dependable if you're broke down and needing it.
    I think those are a good tractor though, probably won't have any trouble at least for a while. What year is it and is it diesel or gas?

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    1969 with the high/low trans and live pto and sadly gas not diesel...but I've heard both have positives and negative aspects.

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on it all Ty.
    Just FYI. I know JD had a lease deal last year for under $700. 4000 hr max i believe, but if all you're doing is food plots it would be worth it IMO. I thought about just getting one to put in the front yard for that price. Have fun with it man. Not trying to convince you other wise just a heads up.

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    If it's equipped with power steering (I assume it is) check that column and cam arm for leaks and make sure the steering works good. Those steering columns can be a booger and expensive to repair and try to make sure the hydraulics function strong after it's warm. Also check to make sure the PTO shuts off when it's supposed to be off.

As far as the fuel, I wouldn't touch a gas. Only drawback to a diesel is cold weather starting but a block heater fixes that. Gas engines run hotter, higher RPM, gas is more volatile to handle and it's a pain to keep a tractor fed on gas.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    $700/month? If so definitely a pass for sure.

16. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    No, for the year.
    My boss did it last year.

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Holy smack, depending on what the machine was that's damn hard to beat.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah going tomorrow night. I know the guy said he's replaced all hoses and lines since he purchased which from sounds of it was a couple years back...have to ask if that included or if he did anything to the power steering column.

He said hydraulics are strong, but do bleed down when shut off and sitting (fairly common with age and of little concern for what we will do)...gonna test that though by hopefully hooking up the bush hog and raising and lowering once warm and watching for any leaks.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Dear LORD, I live 8 minutes from a dealer....might have to go see what this is all about at that price.

20. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have all the details but from what my boss said you couldn't go wrong. I don't remember which model he got but i believe he was in the 60hp range.

Tags: