Kill Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Cledus, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I am in need of some advice for those of you who do food plots/kill plots. I am in the process of clearing out a small area to get a smaller kill plot put in. Only issue I have is that there were/are a LOT of smaller trees that I am in the process of cutting down, so I cant take a mower back there to cut the weeds down. I have been weed eating it down as close as possible.

1st question: After I get the weeds cut down as short as possible, what is the best weed killer to spray it with? And then How do I clear it out to the dirt? This spot is not accessible with a four wheeler or anything to till it up.

2 question: Since I cannot till the ground up, would I be better off trying to use a throw-n-grow setup? Could I just spray and kill all the weeds and grasses then throw the Throw-and-grow on top?

Sory, I'm sure this is noob overload, but I have never done any type of plot, Ive always just setup on travel routes. lol

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm not mistaken I believe you're better off spraying the grass as is or let it grow back a little before applying herbicide.

Throw and Grow would be your best bet. Clovers , wheats and such just before a good rain is the safest way if you don't have machinery. I'm sure somebody else will set me straight on it. Just my 2 cents.

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Controlled Burning is another great option.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same questions for a similar situation.

I have permission to put in a small throw and grow type plot but not a till and sew.

I hope you get your answer because it most likely will apply to me as well.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I found this Antler Geek video. It has some good info/ideas.

These guys are my favorite hunting video producers on Youtube. Sharing the spot with BHOD.

Antler Geeks: DIY Food Plot - YouTube

6. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man!

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill it with roundup, burn off the dead grass, plant the seed, and then finally, rake it in. Then hope for rain!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Would have to agree with Ryan A

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have rented a stihl power head with the tiller attachment on it. You can carry it to the most inaccessible area. You don't need to do a deep till just the first 2" of top soil. You defiantly want to round up the vegetation before you rake or till it.

10. hillarcher

hillarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I want a small kill plot, I just spray it with roundup, wait a couple weeks, spray it again, wait a day and plant stuff like rape seed or turnips, just spread it out just before rain and there is no need to drag it in. But my plots are on peat soil

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since all my plots will be in the woods and fairly small, this is the method I'm using. Started last week-end and going to check them tomorrow to see how it's going.

12. hillarcher

hillarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 5 acre plot on peat soil and this is the method I use to keep the weeds from taking over

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a little strip on an old logging road that I have sprayed with RU twice and put about 80lbs of lime on. I am going to try the minimal prep approach and just lightly rake and toss some whitetail institute No Plow out and see what happens. I'm not expecting much but if i can get this stuff to grow I will do a bigger area next year. I'm hoping that with minimal effort I can somewhat improve the current habit in that area.

I'd be interested to hear how others have done with this approach.

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love kill plots. Check out this at Midwest white tails.

http://http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/181/media/6358/do-it-yourself-foodplots.html

I generally clear the area as best as I can. Spray with Glysophate 41 to kill everything, give it 3 weeks, rake out the area, throw down fertilizer and lime, rake again, then throw out oats, cereal rye and maybe some clovers. Then pray for rain. If you can do this in a staging area before they come to final feeding fields. Good luck.

15. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I appreciate it. I don't know how to go about doing a controlled burn, but will look into that. If nothing else, I will spray it, wait a week or so and spray it again. Then try to rake it all out.

16. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure your careful with the controlled burn, there is special equipment that is almost necessary. Fire is very useful yet very dangerous. We spray all ours and it works good when done at the right time. Spraying in the evening works a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably stick to spraying, then raking for now. Unless I can find someone local who is experienced in burning.

18. popgun

popgun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new here but you need to be sure to add a sufficient amount of lime. Most areas that have been wooded will have a low pH and normally it will take 50-100lbs of pelletized lime per 1,000 sq. ft. to correct the acidity. It will take a few months for the lime to correct the pH. I have several wooded plots and I've had good luck with a product called No-Plow. Best of luck.

19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    this is what my kill plot looked like last time I was able to get to it.
    [​IMG]

Weather and schedule has not been cooperating this year. It's been so wet I've only been able to get in on foot. ATVs would tear the trails up too much. Its been sprayed, and I knocked all the tall brush down with a hand weed cutter and I raked out the cover of dead leaves. I had wanted to have this planted over a month ago but that didn't work out.

I'm going to end up changing my plan for this spot this year. I think I need to plant something fairly soon to have it growing and the deer using it by the beginning of early season. But I don't know what I should plant. The tree canopy wasn't completely filled in, in the picture. The plot will get some morning light as there is a clearing to the east. but once the sun is up it will be filtered light at best. So I need something that will grow well in the shade. Once the plot is growing for this year I will probably overseed something that will establish late and hopefully start in the spring or summer depending when the snow is gone.

What would be a good annual seed for a fall kill plot in a filtered light area in North Central WI.

20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    R-70.
    i can,t
    tthink of a perenial other than some white clovers that will do well in you situation