How bad did I screw up? First food plot attempt.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Westfinger, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I cleared some ground in a clearing back in the spring. I did the soil test, lime and fertilizer. Planted some Whitetail institute No Plow. The seed was a little old so I also planted some WI Secret Spot. Everything has been done by hand without any equipment. Things were looking good after the first month. I tossed a bag of 34-0-0 around for good measure. I came back today expecting to see more growth but instead found a bunch of brown spots where I killed the plot in several spots.
    I'm pretty bummed to say the least.
    I was planning on doing a fall planting on the other half of the plot anyway. Should I just till it under when I do the fall planting? Any thoughts?
    Its only 40yards x 20 yards. I have two other areas i haves killed with round up and need to plant in the fall so time and effort are limited.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Replanting at this time of the year will still be good.

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    34-0-0 definitely has to be done at the correct rate. Instead of disking it up, just try spraying every to kill it. Then broadcast your new seed right into the dead forage. The dead forage will continue to break down and fertilize your new crop.

4. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Guys.
    Yeah, I thought we were going to get enough rain so that just tossing out the 34-0-0 would be ok. Less is more with young growth I guess. Next time I'll use the hand spreader too. I can't believe how it burned it up in spots.
    I think I will just let it go for now and depending on how it looks kill and plant over it when I plant the fall plots in July.
    I still have to haul lime to the other plots and get the ground cleared.
    So much work, I'm enjoying it but wish I had some equipment to do it right.

5. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You want to plant your fall plot 30-45 days before the first frost.

6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your insight and experience. Yeah, I might be putting them in a tad early in theory. The reality is I'm shooting for July which is what WI recommends for my region but at my current pace I will be lucky to have the ground close to being ready by then. Carrying in 40lb bags of lime two at a time has been a slow process especially at the more distant sites.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Use a spreader don't hand spread fertilizer, a lot is not always better.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    no doubt, I started off using one but got away from it because it was slow and one more thing to carry. It didn't matter when I was preparing the ground but boy did it burn up my new growth. Never again.

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure does sound like you burnt the crops with the fertilizer.
    You could definitely replant here right now as well. If it don't turn off blazing hot you should be fine.
    Daryl is definitely right about the frost.
    If you do get adequate rain the dying plants will help hold that moisture aiding in the germination process.

Good Luck!!

10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    We are suppose to get some rain the next couple days. If that happens I may bring some seed with me and depending on what those burnt spots look like I may put a little seed down on them if it looks like I can get some good seed soil contact and if the fertilizer is broken up some. No sense putting seed down if the fertilizer is just going to burn them again.