Small plot in the woods ... looking for advise

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by DEC, May 23, 2016.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a lot of luck with plots in the open fields (clover, corn, soybeans, etc), but this year I will finally have a chance to do a small plot inside the woods. I own a woods and had it logged last fall. There is a great area that is just shy of 1/4 acre in size that would make a great plot now that the canopy is opened up. I own a utility tractor and a 4' disk so working ground is no problem. I also have a small hand tiller for tight areas. I went in the other day and hit the area with round up to kill off what growth has started. I know that I will have to put down ag lime, which is no big deal either as I have the equipment to haul it back there and have a small pull behind ATV spreader.

So my goal is to have a food plot for bow season. But I am not sure what best to plant or when to plant it to be able to bow hunt over it in October/November. I am located in northeast Indiana.

Looking for advice on those who have experience with fall plots in the woods in this type of climate.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First of all I am not familiar with Indiana. But as far as timing I would shoot for mid August to first week of September depending on when you get your first frost generally. Beans are out often question for a smaller plot but a mixture of oats, clover and maybe some turnips may work out good for you. Here the turnips don't get hit till January because it doesn't get cold enough to bring up the sugars. Also might be able to do a mix of oats and winter pea. Good luck.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Derek I'm from right in your neck of the woods (north central IN).

If the canopy is truly as open as you say you should get a solid year or two growth before canopy shoots in on the opening....long term don't be afraid to keep the southern side trees hinged over or cut clean as to continue to allow at minimum 4/5 hours of daylight to hit the plot.

If planting this year you will not get solid clover growth by this fall...yes you will get some but it won't thrive until its 2nd year and then explode year 3 if cared for. I would go with a oat/winter rye combo this year, but also include in it clover. The Oat/rye will mature faster and take some of the browsing pressure off the clover. Come next spring the rye will re grow some and then once you mow it high it will die off and the clover will take over. I would spring seed over with more clover next year.

**Don't be afraid to lay down some chicory with the planting as well....it is AWESOME hunting season crop to have around and it does stand up to brows and mowing and will continue to come back.

***None of this matters if you don't get the proper PH...focus on grabbing a soil sample and trying to get that PH in line...in the woods it is probably low. You don't need to get it up to par all this summer but plan on hitting it this year and next with some lime.

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is the info that I am looking for. I am familiar with clover plots in that it takes year 2 and then 3 for them to hit their prime. I've not mixed in an oat or rye though before.

I am going to hit it hard with lime in a week or so. I was thinking of tilling it, putting lime on it, and then tilling the lime in ... unless this is a bad idea.

Anyway, regarding planting, if I do a clover/oats/rye/chicory mix, should I do it as soon as possible or wait until mid August to get it in the ground? Again, my goal is a new hunting hole come October.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't rush into it....I don't plant till around August for my oats/rye plots. The clover isn't the focus this year anyways, and you'll get some but not a ton. I'd focus on a forage oats and/or winter rye mixes (even just local ag store stuff would work). I'd then just do a light seeding over it with clover after oats and rye start emerging. We've had really good success with this. And yes the Oats/Rye will get hit during season....especially if winter hits early and cold or snow come in as the rye will get dug to through the snow even.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect. Sounds like a simple plan to get a plot started in there this year.

Thanks for the advice.

This gives me time to send off a soil sample as well for pH testing.

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from southern Wisconsin so we have similar climates. We've had great luck with planting clover/chicory in areas like these and there is always plenty of forage come fall. As long as the weeds are killed off it should be lush by July if you get enough rain. The saying clover thrives after the 2nd year is somewhat of a misconception. Yes it will be better, but not drastically better. If the weather cooperates you will have a nice clover/chicory plot to hunt over come September. Attached is a picture of a clover field that we planted last May, and the picture was taken in August the same year Image1464057484.293390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Every clover plot I've ever planted gets better that second year...guess I've just been unique haha! :D

9. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you use to kill the weeds? And when are u supposed to kill them off? I planted something similar, clover is coming up but so are weeds.

10. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They do tend to get better the 2nd year, but they also grow well the first year too if you have good growing conditions. Ours usually last 5-6 years before they start to fizzle out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sure clover grows the first year, but no one even in perfect conditions should expect clover to be extremely thick and lush like we all desire that first year unless no weed growth, consistent raining and sunning occurs, and you've gotten the soil PH to the ideal level...even then I bet it will be thicker and better that second year.

The OP though in my area has missed what many would consider the spring planting window for clover to be lush by fall....now if the spot was prepped and frost seeded prior to thaw, sure this fall's clover could honestly be doing seriously well. However, I as I described really enjoy getting clover started with something else in a fall planting, where the other food sources battle the brows pressure the clover may have felt...allow it to send down roots and focus on truly setting itself up for its full first year of growth cycle the following year.

I also am a firm believer in overseeding clover the following spring after it's first year and then probably every other year. Keeps fresh growth occurring and less dying off. I know some will mow their clover extremely short in the spring and overseeded with fresh clover/chicory and some of the old survives while some of the new kicks off.