Cover Crop

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by lgreenslade3, May 17, 2016.

1. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure this has been discussed but I have a little different situation. This fall I'm turning an old pasture into a food plot and planting a fall blend, brassica plus from arrow seed. Anyways, by this pasture there is a private drive going up to some houses. I want to plant a cover crop to block the pasture from the road as well as planting a cover crop along the sides of the plot so I have a good entry and exit. I was thinking about doing corn but I'm not sure how it'll do come august. Would corn work fine or would something else work better to plant in August for a cover crop?

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a very similar situation that I am doing this year and I am planting a mix of sorghum and Egyptian wheat. This is a good annual solution but I am not sure if I want to have to do this every year. So next year I will be planting a switch grass type of solution which will take 3 years to mature but will end up being 6-8 feet tall that the deer and turkey love for bedding and I will not have to plant every year.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What you're wanting is a screen, not technically a "cover crop". A cover crop is a crop planted to cover the soil in the off season.

Switchgrass for a permanent screen, egyptian wheat or sorghum sudan grass for a quick annual screen. Evergreens for a bigger and thicker permanent screen but is slower growing.

Corn can work for a screen but it takes 4-8 rows to be effective as a screen and it also attracts deer so if it's a screen from a road then you're basically luring deer within range of the road.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are the man Covey!!

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Covey beat me to it. Personally I like to say while utilizing temporary ones, get permanent ones started (evergreens/switch)

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well the OP had gone basically unanswered since early yesterday, figured it had gone long enough I'd offer an opinion on it.

7. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, I never thought of it like that. I'm not worried about any poaching or things of that nature, just for the deer to feel a little more secure.