Liquid Lime vs Bagged Lime

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Farmer Brown, May 13, 2016.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used a liquid lime like plot start or any other liquid calcium and seen a difference than pellatized lime. I cannot use ag lime. It would be cheaper for me to use Plot Start but is it a waste? I understand it won't have a long term affect to my soil but will it do well enough for 1 annual application.
    Thanks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always used pelletized mainly because its easier to move around. Most yard services here use liquid and it seems to do ok but hard to tell with out being able to do soil tests. Interested in the feedback you get.

3. at1010

at1010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How big of an area and how much lime do you need?

i have actually only heard great things about plot start. I haven't tried and tested it myself.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why can't you use pulverized lime instead?

I have no experience with liquid, but I've used both pulverized in 60lb bags and pelletized. When I was doing soil testing the pulverized absolutely affected PH much faster. It's not that hard to work with either. A $200 drop spreader from Northern Tool will spread the heck out of it and a tow behind broadcast will do it as well as long as it's dry outside. I even spread it one year out of the back of a pickup truck using a leaf blower.

5. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    Its about an acre and I can barely get an atv where the plot is so liquid would be a lot easier. Plus its $60 a year for liquid lime and a plot booster as well. Already have a sprayer so that's all I would spend.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense. I'd love to hear about your results if you are doing soil testing. Please share your experience if you do use the liquid.

7. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    Took a soil sample in February and will take one again either late fall or next spring to compare. Thanks for the help.

8. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dolomitic Lime is a great source of Calcium and Magnesium. I don't have a whole lot of experience with liquid lime.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How fast it will affect the PH goes liquid, than pulverized and finally pelletized. All would get the job done, but I'd think it's gonna take a lot of trips and a lot of water to do liquid over pelletized or pulverized.

10. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grow around 3 acres of vegetables for our CSA and farm market sales. This year I switched to liquid calcium. The product I use is called clean green liquid calcium. I got it from a different source but was same product. Runs about 50.00 for 5 gallons. that should treat 1.5 acres roughly. I applied mine heavy concentrate on bare soil then tilled it. was like 3 to 1 water to calcium ratio. you wouldn't be able to apply that rate over growing crop but bare soil will be fine. I think your on the right track with your thoughts!
    Clean Green Liquid Calcium

So far I like what I am seeing from it. time will tell!

11. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man! Can I apply, till, and seed all in the same day in that order or would you let it sit for a little bit?

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to see how the liquid works. We prefer to use ag lime. Used pelletized a couple of times.

13. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will be fine to do it all in one day. Sorry took a few days to get back with you!