Fertilizer Types

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jdhaines32, Apr 5, 2016.

1. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are there different types of fertilizer? I see some list for lawns, others for gardens, and yet others as all purpose. I know the numbers show the different percentages of content, but I wasn't sure if there is fertilizer intended for specific uses. I had a soil sample done and it says that I need 34-0-0. So what fertilizer should I actually be looking for?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The three numbers stand for (N) Nitrogen - (P) Phosphorus - (K) Potassium.

Sounds like you really need to get you nitrogen levels up.

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man, I could talk for days on fertilizers... Like elkguide said, the numbers stand for (N) Nitrogen (P) Phosphorus (K) Potassium. The number it self stands for the pounds of active ingredient per bag. So a 34-0-0 would have 34 pounds of nitrogen in the bag. You can even get a 46-0-0 (Nitrogen Urea) and cut down the amount of fertilizer you need to buy.

4. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go to a local fertilizer retailer for farmers, many will sell you small quantities of straight product. So since it says that you need straight nitrogen, 46-0-0 is what granular urea is. The 46 just means that 46% of what you put down is actually nitrogen. Since you need 34-0-0 (34% nitrogen). You would need 750lbs/acre.

5. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So can I use any fertilizer that I ca find that is the 34-0-0 or 46-0-0 as listed above. Are there different fertilizers say for food plots, gardens, and or laws or is it all the same as long as the numbers are correct for what I need. This is all pretty new to me, so thanks for the info.

6. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well even if the numbers are not perfect you can and or subtract the amount that you put on to reach the 34 you need

7. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    If it is saying you need a 36-0-0, it means you are lacking nitrogen. 8-8-8 has nitrogen but you would be 3x the amount to get the nitrogen you need. That's why it is recommending a more pure form. The type of fertilizer you need varies by plant type and by the nutrients in the soil. There are tons of different varieties of fertilizers you can get. All of which are designed to target different parts of the plant and different soil and plant deficiencies.

I hope this answered your question. I use a lot of the same fertilizers on my lawns, plots, and gardens. It all just depends on the plant, the time of year, and what I am trying to accomplish. If you have any questions about specificfic plants, feel free to shoot me a message.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was always told that the numbers represented the % N, P or K in the bag.

EX. 46-0-0 = 23 pounds of N in a 50 pound bag.

For smaller food plots here is the formula for finding your acreage. SQ. feet of your plot divided by 43560 = acres.

EX. your plot is 100' x 200'= 20,000 sq ft divided by 43560 = .459 acres.

9. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    I had to go back and read what I wrote. Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct, it's the percentage of pounds of active ingredient per bag. 46-0-0 has 46% active Nitrogen, or 23 pounds.

10. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide to use a Urea (46-0-0) it would be best to do it before you plant. Urea is soluble and will dissolve very quickly. If you put it out once the crop is up and there is dew or moisture on the plant, the Urea will stick to the leave blade and dissolve. Resulting in some burning on the leaf tissue.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's nice to know that you get 23 lbs of fertilizer in a 50lb bag of 46-0-0.

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have enough patience to sit down with "ol' foody" here and help him read real slow so that he can understand?

Maybe if somebody has some pictures...............

;) :wave:

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your soil is that deficient of nitrogen. Wouldn't it also be more beneficial long term to plant something that fixes nitrogen in the soil naturally.......... Clovers, hemp, soy.
    It could get costly to try to put that much fertilizer down.

14. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    That could help. However, just having an annual plant rotation will help more than anything (other than putting out the recommended fertilizer). Once winter crops die off, it just recycles those nutrients back into the soil. I keep clover on 3% of my land year round. In the area I am in the clover just about never goes dormant, especially not this past year.

If it was me... I would go ahead and put out the recommended NPK and get the levels right. From there, if you are on good annual crop rotations and pull a soil analysis every year, you should be able to keep the nitrogen levels in check pretty easily.

15. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    It will also help tremendously to make sure something is planted all year round, like clover. This holds the nitrogen up in the soil and keeps it from leaching down to a level where plants can no longer utilize it. Leaving a patch of soil barren for a long period of time lets tons of nutrients just leach right out of the soil.

16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016