Lawn care question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Wisconsin Buckwatch, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What type of fertilizer or product should i spread on my lawn this time of year to thicken it or help it out? I'm in Wisconsin so the grass is pretty brown for the dog pissing/****ting everywhere, plus months of snow cover? I've never really been the guy who needs the best lawn, but i just want to help it out a bit. Thanks
    Also do have the dog and 2 little kids so I want something safe.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the lawn dormant right now? If so, wait until it comes out of dormancy before fertilizing. You don't want to force color or growth out of it when it's not ready.
    Once it comes out of dormancy, hit it with a Ammonia Sulphate (21-0-0) or Nitrogen Urea (46-0-0). Both of those will spike it really nice. Make sure not to over do it though. What type of grass is it? That really is the deciding factor.
    If you have any kind of lawn care questions please feel free to message me. I am certified in Turf and Ornamental and teach lectures all over. Hope this helps.

3. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Dislikes Received:
    The grass is starting to green, I have no clue what kind of grass it is just standard Wisconsin grass. Can i over seed to thicken it up in certain spots?

4. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Again, it depends on the type of grass you are trying to seed. Some grass seeds will germinate really well and some are ify. Some types of grass you can not seed at all. If you do seed, make sure you are keeping the water to it. Allowing the seed bed to dry out any at all will stunt germination. Seeding it worth a try though.
    If it is starting to green up and grow, then go ahead and put some fertilizer to it. But, don't fertilize it really heavy until it's in the peak growing season. Forcing color and growth will only burn up the plant.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Scott's lawn care products each spring and fall.

Rule of thumb I use and would work for you as well is fertilize your lawn when farmers start planting corn.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just use the Menards fertilizer products. Early spring with the Crabgrass preventer, later in spring with the Weed&Feed, Depending on the year once or twice over the summer with the Lawn Food, and in the fall with the Winterizer.

I'll spot seed areas, I like to get that done when it is dropping to the mid 40's at night.

I tend to keep my grass longer than all my neighbors, and that really helps in the summer when it is dryer.

7. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Dislikes Received:
    Ok that helps. About half of my grass is green half is still brown.

8. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Then wait to fertilize until it has all transitioned out of dormancy. If you want to help it out, go find a 0-0-7 bonded with prodiamine. This will give you a root builder (potassium) and a pre emergent for crabgrass. The potassium will also help it transition out of dormancy.

9. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Your local southern states dealer will have anything you need.

10. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ec grows maxx lawn weed and feed. It is manufactured in eau claire and most of the big box stores and lawn centers across the state sell it. it has time release and the broadleaf preventer in it.

I have dealers that sell a fertilizer that i have made up in wisconsin that naturally loosens the lawn but ec grow you can find about anywhere....you want to get it down early to prevent weed growth.

You also can use liquid plant foods applicated by using an ortho, hudson or cameleon applicator.

11. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grass seed can be your best friend

Tags: