Clover, Chicory, ________?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Creeks, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need one other thing to plant with my Clover and Chicory, come feburary...what would you plant??? after I plant it, it's staying for ever how long I can get out of it.....

Thanks
    Creeks

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    winter wheat or alfalfa

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd lean towards the alfalfa due to it being a broadleaf and a perennial as well as chicory and clover. You should be able to spray them the same without damaging any of them.

4. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I'm leaning toward also....I had a well known business (Big Buck On Bag...) hehehe say that I needed to add a grazing alfalfa.....any suggestions on what a grazing Alfalfa is or what type I should order....

Thanks
    Creeks

5. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do some checking. I don't remember the "name" of that version. I know that you want the grazing version over the haying version. If don't get back to you before Covey answers.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are two different types of alfalfa that root differently. One roots out wide and fine and the other slams down a tap root. The tap root version is best for wetter areas, the other one is better for more well drained soil. As far as a name, I don't know, some of that just depends on where you buy it. Some seed dealers can have the same actual cultivar and label it by a different name. In general, I don't see any reason why one that's geared more towards grazing wouldn't be preferred.

To be perfectly honest, I never pay attention, I just buy whatever is on hand at the local co-op and fling it with the mix. Where deer lightly graze over it kind of willy nilly, I don't really think it's going to amount to a hill of beans in difference. That's my opinion, I'm no alfalfa expert.

7. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    All I am going by is word of mouth. The haying version, if left in the field becomes much tougher than the grazing version. I'm no expert either and the info I rec'd could be WAY off also. Like I said, it was just what I had heard.
    I've never planted it so I haven't done any research on it myself.
    You might check out this book, Quality Food Plots which is put out by the QDMA. I go to it on lots of questions that I have.

8. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
  9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, if you are going to trim your clover back anyway to spur fresh growth, it should effect the alfalfa the same way. May be a case where over complicating it just isn't worth the concern. I worry more about trying to match the root system to the soil conditions (I may have had the root types and preferred areas reversed).

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked at a ticket from last year, what I bought was "Magna Graze". I had exceptionally good results with it, it was carefree and in a really crappy area and soil.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They must have grazing alfalfa for horses and deer? Can't imagine anyone grazes cattle or sheep/goats due to bloating.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
  13. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

We have enough pasture land that we have never needed to worry about grazing alfalfa. There is some mixed in the pastures in certain areas but not much at all. We've had a couple heifers bloat from alfalfa in all the years we've had cattle but that's because they got out in the evening into an alfalfa field and didn't notice until later the next morning.

It's been about 10 years since we've had alfalfa now anyways.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The thing I don't like about alfalfa is that if your plot gets thin you can't add alfalfa to an existing plot that has some alfalfa without tilling it all under.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Why is that?
    I never worry about it anyway being in a mix if it disappears from the plot there's always clover left in mine.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am no farmer but was under the impression that alfalfa puts something in the soil that will not allow fresh seeded alfalfa to take root in an existing alfalfa stand. Too lazy to look up the term for it this morning.

18. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Slow at work, Aphanomyces root rot is just one of the diseases alfalfa can get, which will stunt growth of seedlings. It is interesting that there are quite a few diseases alfalfa can get, mostly root rot.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, it's called autotoxicity. Yeah, that's mostly in old established monoculture stands of pure alfalfa. I doubt it'd be a problem in a mix. I don't really know how persistent alfalfa will be in a mix, last year was the first time I've included it but it came in with both clovers and bloomed beautiful purple blooms. I'll keep monitoring it this year to see how well it holds up and I plan on doing some more so I don't have to replant as many acres of food plots annually.

20. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm going with the Alfalfa.....It's just a 1/4 acre kill plot, that Im going to have Clover, Chicory, and Alfalfa in...I believe it will serve my purpose well.....
    Thanks Everyone
    Creeks