"Patient" Clover is the best clover...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Jun 15, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With all the talk of clover plots I wanted to show guys that getting clover started in the fall (as our spring frost seeding here failed) is a great way to set your plot up for success in the long run. Yes, last fall it may not have been the best but not everything has to have an immediate payoff.

This is a plot up between the road and our small 2-3 acre bedding area at the Homestead property...this area's soil barely drains water off and we decided last fall to try and get clover to grow here. Last spring we frost seeded some but most washed out...then last Fall planting of a 5 clover mix again, then re-seeded this spring....and it is just BOOMING.

Clover at times can take a year minimum to really start showing it's potential but keep at it and that 2nd year and 3rd year it really will get going. These photos were taken now 2 weeks back, and portions (not all) of the plot has been mowed and is already springing back up with fresh growth.

20150606_150410.jpg
    20150606_150414.jpg
    20150606_150437.jpg
    The above image actually shows from ground level the difference between the mowed strip and the non-mowed.
    20150606_150505.jpg

2. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Late summer to early fall is a great time to establish clover. No fighting weeds.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Exactly...far too many though read all about frost seeding or guys that swear spring is the best time.

4. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just mowed my clover plot that I put in last fall. I tried to mix it in w/ Brassica and it choked out the clover in spots. Then I Frost seeded in March. Looks outstanding!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always plant clover in the fall with my cereal mix of winter rye and oats. There is usually not much clover growth for fall feeding but once the oats freeze out in the winter and the rye matures in the spring, I'm left with a beautiful almost weed free stand of mature clover for spring feeding which is important in helping deer recover from the cold harsh winters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The more progressive managers in the livestock business are fall seeding legumes, as there is less weed pressure. There is pros and cons with any seeding time, however. You need to get the legumes in early august thru the first week or two in september in the northern tiers and you need to get enough growth and energy stored to help carry one through the winter.

I have had clients frost seed for the last 25 years. I have some clover stands out in the field that have been out there about 20 years. The secret is frost seeding and overseeding. I have some frost seeded clovers that i have showed people via tours and pictures that would surprise people. The secret is humics in the fall to loosen the soil naturally and then when one frost seeds, you have seeds that work into the ground more effectively.

Then if you splashes a dry fertilizer with super cal and humics about mid april, you will get some great rooting and nutrient uptake.

7. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what my plot looks like after I weed whacked it last weekend. uploadfromtaptalk1434512815347.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1434512815347.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I planted red clover with my rye and oats last fall, and it is absolutely thriving to this point. I'm hoping to establish a white clover plot, and will definitely start it in the fall if I do so.

9. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would prefer a fall planting to spring any day. Frost seeding works well too but fall planting it's the best option for clover imo

10. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have kind of neglected our clover plot over the past year or so and it is really showing its age right now as its 6 years old. I am probably going to till the bad areas this fall and replant them and just frost seed the spots that are still in decent shape.

11. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Our best clover plots have been fall plantings done this way.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks awesome bro! You gave me a good remedy for this Fall.

13. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just for this I will go with the kiddo's and check on what my clover from last year looks like for you ty! plus I need to put out the minerals that have been just chilling in a pail in my garage all year! wow, I am way behind! Still need to plant my screening! ahhhhhhhhh!

14. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I checked my clover plot today. The first one I have ever done and it's more of a kill plot, only a 1/8 of an acre in size. Planted it back in early May and it wasn't doing well at all. Completly covered up by broadleaf weeds, I was bummed to say the least. I looked through the weeds to see what the growth was like and it's maybe 2" tall. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should use to kill the broadleafs? Should I start over in the fall?

15. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slay will kill the broadleaf weeds and won't hurt clover