"Homemade Mineral Lick"

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by choppernut, Jun 5, 2015.

1. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm a firm believer in a mineral lick throughout the year. I've used many different products and have had very good luck with them. **This thread by no means is knocking any of their product!!** I've just decided to save a little money and put a little more sweat into what I'm putting out in my deer hunting spots. I started out by reading alot and doing my research. I was on the QDMA website where they had a great explanation of what deer need whether its a buck growing antlers or a doe thats lactating for her young. With their formula being easy to mix and the cost being very attractive, I decided; Why not give this a try. I went to the local elevator/feed store and picked up the following:

1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate (50 lb bag)
    2 parts Trace Mineral Salt (50 lb bag x2)
    1 part Stock Salt ( 50 lb bag )

IMG_4592.jpg

For 200 lbs of mineral, I paid $40!!! I paid alot less money for way more mineral than for what it would have cost me at my hunting store. Again, Im not knocking any of their product, I just think that this process that I am doing, I will deffinitaly get alot more bang for my buck!!! (no pun intended) I'll be putting the mineral out on Sunday afternoon and will give it a test. I know the results wont prove anything now but if they hit the lick harder, I think this is something that a guy/gal could easily get into!!! I'll be posting pictures throughout the year to see what they do to the licks!!

This is just my quick rant but its fun to be the DIY guy. I try as much as I can to do things this way!!!

Thanks for checking it out!!

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try putting something sweet in it to attract them to the site... Give them an incentive to stick around.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate (50 lb bag) I can find everything but this in my area.

4. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting

Hutch

5. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in the deer mineral business for 24 years. I have formulated mixes for various businesses and companies over those years. Here is how one can build your own mineral that resembles some that i have sold....

10 lbs salt
    5 lbs ultimate deer base
    20 lbs monocal
    15 lbs calcium

that gives one a 18% calcium 8% phosphorous 20 % salt mix

if one wants one more simplistic use
    10 lbs salt
    5 lbs ultimate deer base
    35 lbs dical

that gives one 16% calcium and 12.9% phosphorous and 20% salt

another option is to buy a 2-1 mineral 50lbs add 10 lbs salt and 6 lbs ultimate deer base

6. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mix it and pour it out? Or do you actually have a block in the end?

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using that mix for years and it flat out works, there's no need to add $4/pound products to it to "make it better". Deer will literally lick a huge hole in the ground anywhere you pour it. Have fun and good luck.

8. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some guys add Kool aid to the mix to sweeten it. Cherry or grape

9. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

10. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Frozen apple juice works to attract them to it too. The apple juice just acts as an attractant to raise their curiousity more then anything.

11. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covey, do you dig a hole, and mix with the soil? Or just simply dump it onto the ground?

I've always mixed with soil in a small dug our hole.

12. choppernut

Dislikes Received:
    Well here is a quick update. I took a picture of one site but forgot to take a picture of the second site. To comment on a few posts above, this was 3 ingredients and I mixed them in a big rubbermaid tote. Then put them in pails. To comment for Cledus, what I did and what most people do is they dig up the dirt about 4-6 inchs deep and then you mix the salt in with the dirt.

Below is a picture of one of the mineral sites 2 weeks after I put it out. The deer are hitting it HARD!!!!!

IMG_4707.jpg

13. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will update from VA this is working great i added the molasses in my mix and i am getting great deer picks and a lot more bucks in velvet starting out than i have in the past

14. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I freshened up one location early last week. Haven't checked it yet, but we have gotten a lot of rain the last week or so.

15. choppernut

Dislikes Received:
    We recieved alot of rain the last two weeks as well. As a matter of fact, the day I put these two salt licks out, we recieved about 3.5-4" of rain and it had me worried. I was worried that it had washed away alot of the salt but it didnt. I was suprised!! I've got a couple solid bucks that have some good potential on one of the spots but I'm going to let them grow before I put pics up. Hopefully now that they are hitting this lick harder, they will feel more comfortable to stay in the area instead of moving to another spot!!

16. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't gotten to check mine yet, but our rain levels are 7-8 inches in the last week I think. If not more. Hoping it hasn't washed it all away! Lol

17. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    where did you find Di-Calcium Phosphate? I didn't find it at tractor supply or orscheln's.

18. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I found mine at a local store called Bucheits

19. choppernut

Dislikes Received:
    I went to our local elevator where they mix minerals and feed for dairy barns and feed lots. When I went there, they had two bags that were torn so they gave me a deal on them!!

20. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With ruminants, salt regulated intake. Too little salt and you will have reduced consumtion and too much and you will limit intake. Deer need about 1/3-1/2 oz/head per day salt. The ideal amount of salt for deer as well as ruminant free choice minerals is 15-25% salt with the ideal number being 20%. This is based not just on my opinions but years of research in the grazing communities. Too much salt free choice, when one gets rain, it becomes hard and crusty. You need about 20% salt in your mix to give a slight crust on your mineral when it rains but much more than that you get a hard mineral.

The deer mineral recipe i push has:
    10 lbs redmonds or regular salt
    5 lbs grandpa ray's ultimate deer base
    35 lbs dical

that is a simple recipe but a more ideal one has:
    10 lbs redmonds or regular salt
    5 lbs grandpa ray's ultimate deer base
    20 lbs dical
    15 lbs calcium carbonate

price per bag is always an issue but also if your trying to get maximum nutrition and the most intake you should be prepared to spend efficiently.

On my best years i had 1400 lbs of deer mineral out and comsumed on the farm. The key with free choice mineral is reduced dust, as ruminants don't like dusty feeds, the proper amount of salt for maximum consumption and a "natural" blend of flavors. What most people use for flavors for deer mineral is not natural for deer. They like earthy and organic materials and what appeals to the human nose is the opposite that appeals to the ruminant.