Best clover/winter rye seed mix on the market

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Tannerb34, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Tannerb34

Tannerb34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to planting food plots, and I was just wondering what the best brand to buy for clover/winter rye seed mix?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to find anything wrong with Whitetail institutes seed. For a company brand type seed...it's about as good as I have ever bought. They have a lot of options but don't have a rye mix that I recall.

3. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How big of an area are you doing? You could save yourself some cash by getting a 50 lb bag of rye for $13 and a couple lbs of ladino clover vs. getting some namebrand stuff.

Or get the Whitetail Institue clover and buy some rye to add to the mix. Its 70 cents a lb around here thats why I just get the big bag and call it a day.

4. Tannerb34

Tannerb34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the response. I am only planting an area that is about a 1/4 acre.

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out my thread titled "My first food plot is awesome" posted in this category. This is also my first year doing a food plot and so far, I can't complain with Imperial Whitetail No-Plow

6. bluecollaroutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know whats in the no plow but you could certainly put 20 lbs of rye and 3 lbs of white clover on that spot and have a hell of a plot. Rye will grow anywhere. Next spring you can let the rye grow up and cut it down or let it go to seed and die off and have a perennial clover plot.

7. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    bluecollarouotdoors - I am a fellow Wisconsinite, where do you buy your rye?

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice, I hardly ever buy a packaged seed blend anymore. I buy all my cover crop and food plot seed from here:
    Welcome to Green Cover Seed | Green Cover Seed

Unless I want something out of the ordinary that they don't carry then I hit several other online sources.

9. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    25-30lbs of winter rye along with 2-3 lbs of clover should be good for a 1/4 acre plot. If you haven't had the ph tested I would also throw down around 100lbs of pell lime along with some 19-19-19 fertilizer. I usually plant mine around the end of August to keep the rye from seeding out too early. If you have a high deer pop. they should keep it mowed down for you. Good luck and post some pics.

10. bluecollaroutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Pulaski Warehouse/Pet Food Storehttp://www.pulaskiwarehouse.com/locations.html

50 lb bags at Pulaski Warehouse or at there PetFood store on Military in Green Bay. They usually have 5 lbs bag for sale as well for like 2.50 if you wanna just get the exact poundage you need with no leftover.

You can also get a 50 lb bag for like 18/19 bucks at Progressive farmers in Depere. Or they sell it for 70 cents a lb and you can scoop your own bag full.

Progressive Farmers Co-Op
    1221 Grant St
    De Pere, WI 54115
    (920) 336-6449
    www.progressivefarmers.com

So like I mentioned 5 lbs bags at 2.50 x 4 = $10. Add in 3 lbs of Ladino Clover for $3.50 x 3 = $10.50. For $20 bucks you have exactly the portions you want in your mix. In all serious 3 lbs of Ladino itself would be a nice plot or just the rye. Together it will be a hairy mess of snacks for the deer. Go to town, itll grow.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014