6/20 food plot update

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Siman/OH, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Planted 2 plots with clover/purple tops.

The purple tops are coming in amazing, the clover is doing alright.

Pretty happy with the results so far. Got some weeds i gotta pull and gotta re-seed a few areas but overall not bad for the amount of effort put in.

2. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
  3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw on Facebook, I'm impressed and jealous. Looks good! My clover plot from last year bit the dust. The deer and turkey just completely demolished it down to the roots and nothing is coming back. I'm hoping to get a tiller out and put more work into our honey hole plot rather than just doing the throw, grow, and pray method. Question for you, how much sunlight does that plot get per day? I'm thinking I may have to do some hinge cutting to open the canopy up a bit more.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Constantly overseed clover each year, is what we've had to do before.....funny how some years they latch on and other years not so much.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was hoping to at least get to that 2nd year clover boost but man, last year they mowed it down like it was their job. I was happy to see they enjoyed it but I still had hopes that it would at least come back some. I have absolutely none this year, I was surprised. I will definitely start overseeding in the future once I really get it established.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    We have some bare sports, would you reseed with clover or turnips? And after the turnips mature should i till them up and replant or seed clover over it?

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    We've never planted turnips this early bud, only fall so they are there when weather turns cold and the starches go to sugar. If talking next spring you definitely can do that!

As for the bare spots, one thing we do every year is have winter rye and oats ready to overseed plots. The stuff grows anywhere nearly (very PH tolerant) and the deer love the stuff. I'll throw it over brassicas...clover...bare spots...even over seed oat/rye plot in late September just to have fresh green up come October.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Clover plots I'll never hesitate to dust em with some clover seed in the spring and the fall.

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I think were going to seed more clover in all the bare spots this week. The turnips are growing great but well see how the deer react to them since they were planted so early.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The turnips will be the size of softballs if not bigger but if it gets cold enough the deer will still eat them. Especially late season or late winter when other stuff starts to get sparse.

11. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great! Keep an eye on them the closer they get to maturing. If they start to bolt (go to seed) I would go in and whack the tops off with a weed eater. If your deer our like mine, they will keep them mowed down enough until first hard frost.