Wildlife crunch block

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by celticwolf210, Apr 24, 2013.

1. celticwolf210

celticwolf210 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious if anyone has ever used these and if so, did they work as advertised. I saw these and was thinking of putting some out on the property, not as a rack builder but just for a good diet for the wildlife. so there is something steady for them to eat on all year long. I tried one other kind of block with no success at all. It pretty much just rotted there never touched.

2. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is my experience that most of the blocks do just as you mentioned, rot in place. I've had one with corn in it and the deer pick out the corn, but that's about it.

3. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Feeding deer is a hard thing. Pellets, blocks, etc., can all go unused if other food is available they recognize better. Use soley corn, they will likely eat it, but the nutrition sucks.

Deer feed formulation is not an easy task to balance nutrition and palatability.

4. celticwolf210

Dislikes Received:
    I use corn in my feeders. I'm just looking for something else to put out, other than corn, for them to make sure they have plenty to eat during the summer.

5. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. celticwolf210

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some of the golden nuggets. I mixed it with the corn in my feeder. I also put some in my neighbors back yard. He has deer back there that he feeds to keep them coming around.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed my last deer as it was licking and stomping the ground where a crunch block used to be. It takes a month or so and a few rains before the deer seem to hit it. After the block is completely gone, the salt and mineral mixture will melt into the ground and the deer will keep coming back and it's almost like a mini mineral lick.