Help plan for next year

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by flstnhd, Nov 23, 2012.

1. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still hunting here but looking for help planning for next year. Food plot has been a success and want to expand it. Looking for suggestions on what and how to lay out the plantings. The plot will be about an acre and thinking of some corn, clover, and some brassica blend (Biologic Outfitter Blend) like I used this year for late season but am open to suggestions. Here are pics of the layout.

First is overall area. My property is outlined.

Second is view from road. It's a private drive with very little traffic but feel the deer may be more comfortable if the plot was obstructed from the road.(?)

Third is a closer view of the plot area. Current plot is in the outlined area. Want to take it almost up to the water hole (trees in top center of field).

Thanks for any input ! Almost looking as forward to working the plot as I am to hunting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention it's for deer and turkey.

3. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id say the deer would feel more comfortable and come out a little earlier and more often if the view from the road was obstructed. I would plant some corn or something else tall enough to block the view of the road and plant whatever else behind it towards your woods.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would plant some trees..pines, populars, willows...for the future to block off the field from the road. While thats growing, plant egyptian wheat or corn as a screen. Deer like to feel secluded and safe.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    security is the #1 one way to get mature bucks to actually appear during legal time...shoot even does for that matter. Egyptian wheat or hybrid sorghum are great annual ways of planting sight lines and dividing food plots into multiple smaller ones.

6. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys ! Saw pastorandrew's pics and I think the Egyptian wheat will be perfect.

7. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another option would be to plant some plot screen made by frigid forage.

8. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plant a 50 ft wide section of switchgrass along the road. It grows 6 ft tall, perennial, low maintenance, and its a native grass. You cant go wrong with corn, except for the cost.